Monday, August 27, 2007

Mistakes...

So, Kenney and I decided to venture out of the house last night because we needed some items that couldn't wait (toothpaste, deodorant, pullups for B, etc). We had some things to return also so we figured a Sunday night would be a great night to go out to Wal-Mart & Target.

I ran into Target by myself while Kenney & B waited in the car because it was raining. I was only going into the front desk to return something, so I figured it would be much quicker this way. IT WAS SWAMPED. It looked like it was Christmas or something in there. What we failed to realize, having no school-aged children of our own, was that this was the last night before the kiddos headed back to school, and therefore, everyone felt it was better to wait til Sunday night to stock up on school supplies. The lines for the registers were ridiculous, so apparently, they opened up Customer Service to those checking out just as I was walking in to the store.

As I walked up to the service counter, about 10 people with huge baskets hopped in front of me. I was very irritated to say the least. It would have taken me all of maybe 2 minutes to return my 5 stationary items and leave. But instead, it ended up taking FOR-frickin'-EVER because of the million school supplies the people in front of me were buying. I mean how many packs of paper does one family need?!? 20 seems to be excessive when you have 2 children who didn't look older than 7. But anyways, I was reminded about the sermon we had listened to just that morning. He was speaking about being patient and looking for the opportunities that were around us, even in the grocery store. *sigh* Perhaps this was my test. Was I really paying attention to what the Pastor had just spoken about?

Well, I didn't huff and puff as I usually would have when people were being annoying in a check out line. Even when the kid decided he wanted to count out his pennies to pay for his 7 dollar toy. Or when the father decided he needed to argue with the lady about the price of a backpack. Or when it was FINALLY my turn to be helped and some lady came from the back of the store with a huge basket of items and the cashier took her before me because she had brought in something to exchange.

*On a side note, I think it is incredibly rude to bring 50+ items back with you when you go to exchange an item, and want to check out when there is clearly a long line of people who have been waiting while you shopped. And the cashier could have said I can do this exchange for you, but then you'll have to get in line to check out the rest of her items. She really had atleast 50 other items in her cart. I counted, and stopped at 50 because I was beginning to get angry.*

But alas, the items finally got returned, and we ventured on to Wal-Mart. Crazy of us, I know. But we needed to get the pullups for Braydon. If it weren't for the cheap walmart brand we use, I would've gone to walgreens or food lion to get the other things. But we save atleast 5 bucks a pack going to Wal-Mart, so off we went. This time, however, we were armed with a plan. Kenney & Braydon would begin to get the things we needed on our list from the back of the store forward, while I returned a sleeper that we had bought. (it was soooo stinkin cute, but it was a baseball sleeper.) *sigh*

We managed to get out of there in pretty decent time, because we only had like 15 things and could check out in electronics. =) My advice to all, please check with your local school system BEFORE heading out shopping on a Sunday evening.

1 comment:

American Mum said...

Time to lose the pullups. Just go cold turkey. Things will get worse before getting better, but come on, he's like 3 1/2! You'll be glad you did in the long run.