Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Applehood & mother pie...

There's something special about apples to me. Perhaps its because I grew up in NY, surrounded by them. Maybe it's because it reminds me of my family. Either way, apples to me remind me of NY and my childhood. So here I sit, smelling beef stew simmering in the crock pot and apples on the stove, and it could remind me more of my mom if I tried!

This cookbook, "Applehood & Motherpie" is a staple of my mom's cookbook collection. My grandmother gave it to her for Christmas in 1981. (we recently discovered this when my grandma was here visiting and we were getting a recipe for something-my gram had written a message from back in 81 to my mom.) Pretty neat, huh? But anyways, it's a collection of recipes from upstate NYers, and I guess I'd never realized that it was a regional cookbook until this past visit from my grandma. I'm on a hunt to find one for myself. I'd love to have those recipes for myself, and someday be able to share them with Makenna!

Sooooo, here's to the Junior League of rochester for creating a family tradition spreading 3 generations, and eventually 4!

3 comments:

Aprille said...

I just noticed your blog is pink. Are you going over to the dark side? You know, land of tutus and princesses. haha I don't know why i just noticed that.

You know I have some great memories of NY involving apples too. You know, you might want to try to go drive down the parkway this fall. It might ease some of those longings. They make homemade apple cider on all the farms.

Melanie said...

That's soooo funny, because I was like "oh no! Pink!" The first time I saw the blog, lol. Anyway, I love apples too. Maybe it's a family thing. :)

The New Mrs. Rue said...

haha ladies, my sister pointed this out a while back, but when i picked it out, my monitor (which is forever old) it looked like a mulberry color, def. didn't pick pink out on purpose. But no, aprille, i haven't gone to the dark, errr, LIGHT side. =)