Monday, October 1, 2007

Shopping Victoriously....

It's ebays newest ad slogan, where they show these people running for an item trying to catch it in some form of a race. And the look of defeat on the losers face is so funny because its so true. How many times have you bid on an item where there is like 2 or 3 days left and you remain the high bidder, only to wake up and check your email to see "ebay item not won". You were outbid at the last second! SOOOO frustrating. So frustrating that people are pushed to use the "Buy it now" option so they won't have to face the disappointment again of losing their item to a lurker. My poor sister is one of these people who lost an item, and then in turn did a BIN on her monitiors.

That's right, there are lurkers sitting in front of their computers, waiting, refreshing their pages counting down, waiting to make a last second offer that they KNOW you won't have time to counter bid. So in honor and vengance of my dear sister, I became on of those lurkers.

I was bidding on a medela pump in style, and I literally waited on my computer for an hour and a half, watching and waiting....But I was not the only lurker stalking this breastpump. At about 15 minutes remaining, there was a bid that overtook the original bid. So I waited....and refreshed the page. Over and over and over again. My strategy was to wait as little time was left in order for me to be able to place my bid, and just in case i be outbid still have enough time to place a subsequent bid. It was obvious that there was another lurker out there and I DID NOT want to lose this pump! So at 2 minutes left in the auction I placed my bid, just a dollar over what current bid was. I knew it was risky because I would most likely have to place a higher bid, but I wanted to bid just enough over this other ebayer without paying too much. I bid, and indeed I was outbid, and had to place another bet. There was about a minute remaining in the auction, when I placed another bid, this time 3 dollars higher than the current bid. and I was the high bidder...

I refreshed the page about 60 times (once per second) just to make sure that at 30 seconds remaining she hadn't rebid. And so at 9:48 PM, I became a victorious shopper on ebay. And had a smerk on my face and felt like my sister had been vindicated. Okay, so in the scheme of life, I know this is trivial, but hey, it was an experience and I wanted to share.

1 comment:

Choofy Mama said...

dude, you SO need to start sniping!! i snipe every.single.thing and win everything I snipe. It's fabulous. No more refreshing, no more losing. best of both worlds LOL

www.esnipe.com is what I use. try it, you'll be in love.