Thursday, November 1, 2007

I love our church but...

I have to say I'm quite put off by churches that beg for money. In my opinion, churches should not have to ask for money. It should come from the people because they want to give, not because they feel guilted into tithing their 10%. Now don't get me wrong, I believe whole-heartedly that you can never outgive God, and that its important to give. But our church for the past four weeks has done a study called "Tithing is Christian". We were given the books to read at home, then there would be a sermon about it and then we'd talk about it more at bible fellowship group. This four week study started at the beginning of October, and needless to say, we have not been to church in October. A few weekends we had other plans or obligations, but one week we didn't go just because I didn't really care to go and try to feel guilted into tithing. We tithe, and I know what the Bible says about tithing.

I guess it's because I feel like the only reason that this came about is because our pastor has felt a calling to "increase our campus" by adding a childrens building. If you have ever seen our church, then you will agree with me that our church is quite big. And we are in enough debt to last us years to come. Why add more debt on top? It's my opinion that God does not move in buildings, but in the heart of people. He does not require the most advanced lighting equiptment to draw people to himself. All he needs are willing people, as well as those people in need of a savior, and I know that there are many of them in Rocky Mount and the surrounding area.

3 comments:

Aprille said...

That is actually something I really liked about our church. It is the first church I have even been to that doesn't pass an offering plate.

Melanie said...

I give a whole hearted Amen to this one!!

Britney said...

I really like my churches take on debt. Before I started attending they had some issues with a building project and are now in quite a bit debt. and the building project isn't complete. So they have implemented a 70-30 plan. 70% of building funds are put toward reducing debt and 30% is used for completing projects. all the projects have been prioritized and now when the money becomes available we know exactly which projects are going to be completed first. I was impressed with the church when i first started attending because the building wasn't completed, but the congregation used what they had available.

this is a long comment to say I agree with you: church leadership should be held accountable for the financial status of the congregation. Debt shouldn't be an option.