Thursday, November 8, 2007

Mr Incredible joined us for dinner

So, last night at about 4:45, I realized that I hadn't ever figured out what I was going to do with the pork chops that I had taken out of the freezer. My husband would be due home in approximately a half hour, and Braydon was already asking me what we were going to have for dinner.
I hate when I do that! I looked in the fridge and found out that we had nothing to marinade them in. well, I looked around, and found nothing really that looked even remotely workable with my chosen meat. Our take out budget had been exahusted the previous night when we opted for Papa Johns to eat while listening to the NC State basketball game on the radio. Clearly, I had to figure something out and fast!

So I hopped on and googled some recipes for pork chops, and I must say there were a few that sounded just plain nasty. One recipe called for mixing 1 cup of ketchup and 1 cup of coca cola together and adding it on top of the chops & baking them. Sorry, I'm always up for an experience, but this one clearly was out of bounds for my tastes.

I found a recipe for caramel apple pork chops which caught my eye. I love apples, I love caramel, why not?!? So I took the recipe & had something new for my family to attempt. It turned out to be a success, and we've added it into our collection. The funny thing is that now that I've experimented, Kenney is determined to find something even better to attempt. Gotta love it!! =)

On a side note, Mr. Incredible visited our dinner table, and I thought I'd take a picture and share it with you. I've also included the recipe in case you're interested!



Caramel Apple Pork chops

Ingredients:

  1. 4 pork chops
  2. 1 teaspoon oil
  3. salt & pepper (to taste)
  4. 3 tablespoons brown sugar
  5. 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
  6. 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
  7. 2 tablespoons butter
  8. 2 tart apples, peeled, cored, sliced & chopped (I used Granny smith apples and they worked great!)

Preheat oven to 175 degrees. Brush oil over pork chops and place in a frying pan. Salt & pepper them as desired. Brown chops in frying pan for 5-7 minutes over medium heat. Remove pork chops from frying pan and place in a baking dish, and place in preheated oven to keep them warm. In a seperate bowl, combine sugar, cinnamon & nutmeg and mix. Add butter to frying pan and let melt, add sugar mixture in while stirring. Add apples and allow them to cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes (or as long as it takes to make them soft).

Remove chops from oven & add the caramel apple mixture generously over the chops. Return to oven until ready to serve. ENJOY!!

No comments: