Thursday, November 15, 2007

Show me what ya got!!

I have to say my mother is one of the most creative cooks I know. She always took what we had in our fridge & cupboards and made an awesome meals. She would amaze me at how she could take leftovers and make them into something completely different and completely yummy. I'd like to hope that I turn out like her someday and that my kids can say the same about me....

On that note, today I wanted something different to cook for dinner. So I went on a "domestic scavenger hunt" i'll call it to inventory what we had, including our leftovers and frozen foods. I could make a frozen pizza, which it would be ok, but I wanted to save that for Saturday while we watch football. I now know that we have ridiculous amount of cheese in our fridge, as well as 2 bags of unopened frozen chicken breasts. =) But I didn't really feel in the chicken-y mood. I wanted something different! What I did see was potatoes...yummy potatoes. We've had them for a while now, so I knew that they needed to be used up soon before they went bad and we wasted them.


Ah-hah! I knew what I could do! I can make potato soup! So I googled potato soup recipes and read a few. Most of them called for things I didn't have, and I wasn't about to run out to the store for them. I decided just to experiment with what I had.


I peeled & chopped the potatoes up and put them in the bottom of the crock pot and added some boiling water to it. I headed for the cabinet that held my spices to see what I could find. I had beef bouilon cubes and powdered chicken bouillon in there. I debated among the two of them for a few minutes and I figured I'd use chicken. So I added the powdered chicken bouillon and returned back to the fridge. I didn't have any fresh veggies, except a half of an onion. I grabbed that, shut the fridge and opened the freezer. Half a bag of frozen corn, half a bag of crinkle cut carrots. I grabbed the carrots and shut the freezer. I threw in the carrots, then chopped the onion & added it to the crock pot. there's gotta be something else I can add to my mix to add something. I remembered the frozen chicken, but something about chicken in a creamy potato soup just didn't sound right. I opened up the pantry, and there wasn't really anything that I could add, unless I wanted to add a can of pear halves, raisins, or rice crispies. I moved on to the cupboards, and again really didn't see anything that would work. I returned one more time to freezer, and hiding under a hot pocket was something with obvious freezer burn. My curiosity got the better of me, so I grabbed it and took it over to the sink. I threw it under hot water for a few minutes, and realized what it was---It was turkey bacon! PERFECT! I put it in a container and thew it in the microwave for a few minutes to defrost it, then cut it up and added it. I was so excited, this was EXACTLY what it was missing!




It's still cooking and is smelling sooooo good. I'll let it cook on low for a few more hours, than I'll add some evaporated milk and turn it on high. About a half hour before dinner, I'll add some yummy cheeeeeeeese!! I'll take a picture once I've added the milk & cheese. I'm so excited, and yes this means life is sadly in need of more fun things! hahaha!

3 comments:

laurahill said...

great idea for this chilly nc day!
(don't you just love
the cooler weather??!)

Aprille said...

As a foodie one of my greatest joys is a meal well made. It is even better when I feel like I accomplished something like avoiding a trip to the grocery store by using what Ive got. Last night was such a night for me and I am eating my leftover black bean soup for lunch right now. It was a dump dump scavenge meal success!

Anonymous said...

Sounds yummy! My mom use to do the same thing your mom did/does. When asked what dinner was she's say "I call it take-a-whatcha-got and put it in a pot!" LOL
~Christin