Wednesday, December 12, 2007

forgetting what is behind

It's amazing to me that when we ask for God to speak to us, He will in His own time. For several days now, I've sat with my Bible, praying that God would speak to me. Give me something significant to grasp on to, and to impact me. Each day, I read scripture after scripture, but nothing "hit" me.

I know that it may sound funny, but I've gotten many spiritual lessons from my dreams. I'm reminded of Joseph, who was given an amazing gift of interpreting dreams. These people who came to him were distraught by their dreams because they knew that the dream was significant in their lives and Joseph gave them the interpretation, even if it was not pleasant.

Last night, I had a dream about my house catching on fire. In the dream, I saw the "things" in my house burning that were important to me. My camera, my wedding pictures, scrapbooks, Christmas presents, Braydon's clothes, all of the baby's things, etc. I stood inside the house as I watched the fire blaze and consume these things that would totally change our lives if we didn't have them. I remember thinking, "we're going to have to start all over again", thinking about all of our worldly possessions. This morning, I spoke with my sister and told her that I have had several awful dreams, and told her a little about my dream (just the part of our house on fire). She shared with me a dream that she had about me, and then she shared what she felt it meant. When I looked on dreammoods.com, a website I frequent to help understand my dreams, it said that "To dream that a house is on fire, indicates that you need to undergo some transformation." This is quite similar to what Rachel had suggested to me about the dream she had.

Today, I opened my Bible up to Philippians, and found several scriptures that literally jumped off the page at me. They're ones I've read many many times before. "Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus." (phil 3:13-14) "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." (phil. 4:6-7)

So, here's what after all of this I feel that God is trying to tell me: As I watched the "important" things burn in my dream, I acknowledged it was time to start over. I need to let go of somethings that I have allowed to sit in honored positions in my life. I need to allow God to have those things that have impacted me so significantly and allow Him to heal the rest of my heart. Forgetting what is behind and allow his perfect peace into my heart and my life.

Thank you Rachel for speaking into my life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

and THANK YOU dear niece for speaking such profound yet simple truths to us all..
~aunt laura