Wednesday, December 12, 2007

The Name Game...

*Most of my blogs lately have been in response to something I've read on another blog. This one is direct response to Rachel's about the naming of her daughter.*

When I was pregnant with Braydon, I knew that I wanted to give him a significant name, something unique, and something of importance. It was decided shortly after I had my ultrasound that he would be a Braydon. It was also perfect that his name would be Kenneth. My dad has always meant a lot to me, and I know he always wanted a little boy. His first grandchild carries his name in honor of his Papa. His name was set until a couple of weeks prior to Easter. Rachel thought it would just be so awesome to name this baby something related to Easter, since he was due right around Easter. The name she found after doing research was "pascal" which means born at Easter. I did not like that name at all, and was NOT naming him that. But she finally wore me down, and I told her that IF he was born on Easter, I'd consider it.

During Easter Sunday Service, I began having contractions and started worrying that I'd really have to name the poor child Pascal. But they stopped, and that day Rachel looked up other names to suggest to me. She found Kyan, which is pronounced like Ryan but with a K. It meant "little king" which I just thought was cool. But I was already set with his name, and so I just added Kyan to his name. His name was Braydon Kenneth Kyan, which means Brave, handsome little King. It was perfect, and I hope that it will affect the person he becomes.

Now on to this little one inside of me. When we were thinking about names, we found the name Makenna to be very cute and I loved how it still kept the "Ken" in her name. Ray is Kenney's middle name, and mine is Mae, so we combined them and came up with Rae. Makenna Rae, its a pretty name, and I like it. It wasn't until today, in light of my significant discovery in Philippians, that I even considered naming her something else.

I want to give her a name that will mean something, not that having a name after her mommy & daddy isn't important. But I want something to help her spiritually. Naming is such a significant process, and I'm quite fond of the new one I've picked out. Now, we'll have to see how if goes over with my dear husband when he gets home today. I'll let you know as soon as I know.

6 comments:

Rachel said...

hahaha! Dad's gonna kill you if you change it now!

Btw, way to go on getting rid of the word verification!

Britney said...

I love you, Christy. I'm so thankful God brought you into my life so many years ago. (It's been 5 years!) You challenge me in my walk with God in a way that other people don't. Your friendship and life have blessed me and continue to bless me in ways I can't quite verbalize tonight. I think about Paul's words to the Philippians in the first chapter of his letter. And my heart echoes what he wrote to them: I hold you in my heart and I long for you with the affection of Christ Jesus.

Melanie said...

Interesting story!

Anonymous said...

fantastic....
though, your dad will have a fit!
i do enjoy your blogs..i think you and your sister (and cousins)need to write a book.
very, very interesting stuff.
~aunt laura

Anonymous said...

BTW,
Philippians is packed full of JOY!
perhaps............
~auntie

The New Mrs. Rue said...

Actually the "new name" we're discussing means joyful, Aunt Laura. =)