Friday, January 18, 2008

Despite what many young people believe, one vote really does matter. I know that my vote, although it’s just one single vote, will help decide what our country will be like when Braydon and Makenna are old enough to vote. I’m a young voter, and a female young voter at that. I know that Clinton, Obama, Huckabee (whose name cracks me up, but not nearly as much as the fact that he has Chuck Norris stumping with him!) McCain and Romney all are seeking to win my vote.

So what is important to me? What do I have in the back of my mind when thinking about who to vote for? Well, I’m quite glad that you asked!!! Health care is one of the most important issues to me. It is absolutely ridiculous that we pay drug reps. such insane amounts of money to legally sell drugs that cause all sorts of “side effects” but yet the guy around the corner gets jail time for selling pot. (not saying that I believe that he should be able to, I’m just saying that it’s a double standard!) It’s crazy how much money these pharmaceutical companies lavish on these doctors to get them to prescribe their drug. These companies have such amazing amount of resources, while the people of our country don’t even make enough money to purchase these expensive medicines or don’t have insurance to cover them. Our government pays for people to have child after child after child after child but yet the young families that are actually working hard make “too much” to qualify to receive medical insurance through the government. What is wrong with this picture? It is no wonder why people who are raised “in the system” just continue on with that and government-aided living is just a way of life that is passed from one generation to the next. Some of the children my mom teaches did not understand that my mom had to pay to go to the doctor. This concept was foreign to them. They’d always been able to just go to the doctor whenever they needed to, and often times went to the ER because they didn’t have to worry about paying.

Another issue that is important to me is of course our involvement in the “war on terror” as they call it. I have always believed in isolationism, despite what happened to the US when we strictly isolationists prior to the world wars. My opinion is screw everyone else, get our troops home and lets figure out what is wrong with US, not everyone else. On a second note, I’d like to point out that if they came into the United States trying to “free” us from democracy, I’d fight like heck to keep them from doing so just as the “insurgents” are doing over there. Also, if our soldiers were here in our own country, we could begin to fix the problems of immigration. Instead of protecting the borders in Iraq, would we not be better protecting them here? (I’d also like to briefly point out that I’m not necessarily saying that I’m against immigration, I’m clearly undecided because I know that illegal immigrants do so many jobs for such little pay and we’d fall apart if it weren’t for them...)

I’m quite puzzled by some of the key “front runners” stance when it comes to taxes though, especially the democrats. I am a registered democrat, and a fan of Hillary Clinton, don’t get me wrong, but I don’t understand how the dems can say that the Bush administration should issue checks to help stimulate the economy, but then all of their ideas would require tax increases. Doesn’t this seem odd to anyone besides me?

Anyway, that’s my few cents as far as politics go (for right now.) I’d love to get your feedback on this…

5 comments:

Innocence Underrated said...

Having worked with clients who were on such support, for generations, and the teen moms getting out and getting on more support...I'm totally with you. I think support should be temporary to help peole get on their feet...not for generations to do whatever they do. And although I'm registered republican, I don't think I must vote for one. I just wish someone would step forward and slap this country back into shape... And on the drug thing-partly the reason I prefer home treatments and herbal remedies first. As a researching undecided vaccinator, I feel the goverment has too much hand in this medicine money to get us the truth about what drugs really do to people... ok that's way too long of a comment sorry =)

Innocence Underrated said...

ps: that's what Spitzer (dem) is doing to NY state right now. wants to give $50 million to various things for improvements, but how will he do it? But, by taxing us more, house taxes, etc. ridiculous!

Sarah said...

I think alot of things you hit on Obama is thinking on the same wavelength. I am a republican, but other than Huckabee, my vote is leaning more toward Obama every day. He's a strong christian, has strong family values, very active in improving his community, etc. and even though he is a democrat, I think he may very well have the knowledge and strength to pull this country back to something resembling morality and pride in our nation.

Thats just what I think...

Aprille said...

There are so many important issues going into this election. I know one thing, I would never want to be president - they are all a little nuts to be running!

One thing that has gotten me in the last 8 years are all these tax refunds and cuts. I luuv getting a check in the mail but where the heck is this money coming from?? I sure know we don't have a surplus of extra money laying around. How is it taxes are getting cut left and right but this war is getting paid for? hummm makes you wonder just who we are buddying up with for financing this war. The long term ramifications of this war are what scare me. Among other things.

Aprille said...

oh and on the immigration thing.. (thanks for being so PC haha) Alex and I are ALL about having a serious overhaul of the system and wish we could get on with it already. It is ridiculous how many time the DOJ has traded hands in the last 2 terms, specifically since 911. While they are trying, nothing is being accomplished except bad ideas and a growing finger pointing problem.