Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Planning a life

When you're single, you can technically up and move to wherever you want to go. You have no one really to think about. If you live 10,000 miles from your family, it's really you that will suffer. But once you're married and you have children, planning on where you live is no longer your decision. If you move far away from either set of grandparents, and not only will your parents miss out on seeing your children grow up first hand, but your own children will miss out on that interaction that is important.

I should mention that we could really use any and all prayers right now. Kenney's job has been laying people off left and right, asking salaried employees to take pay cuts, etc. Since Kenney was the last one to be hired in his department, he would be the first one to go probably. Plus since he has already been laid off once, it makes us very nervous. The one good thing is that because the whole company relies on Kenney & his boss to function, they probably won't be let go. With that being said, we're also in limbo as far housing goes. Our lease is up on this townhouse in the middle of March. We had originally agreed that we'd just stay here for another year, but after recovering from the shock of opening our utility bill, and having serious issues regarding maitanence of the townhouse, and also the safety of our family being questioned, we know that we need to relocate somewhere. So we're on a hunt to find a decent paying job that provides benefits (since he's the only one working now) and a decently priced place to live that is of good quality.

So where do you go? How do you balance the needs and desires of you and your husband versus the needs and desires of your family? How do you even know that what you think you want is really what you want? I guess this is where you have to lean not on our own understanding, and trust that God has a plan for me, for Kenney, and for our family. I just wish that life's decisions wouldn't be so stinkin' hard.

5 comments:

Aprille said...

This has been one of the most frequent problems/decisions Alex and I have had during our marriage. I think all new couples do. Trying to balance all of the elements that go into this is hard. At least you aren't alone. I think I might blog today on what we've been going through in this area.

Melanie said...

There is a super awesome website that factors in all the things that are important to you, and then gives you a list of cities based on your answers. I think if you google "where should I live" then you'll find it.

sunshine9782 said...

aw...move up here! I need some more girlfriends up here! I totally hear where you are coming from though....we have had that conversation a couple times the past 3 years, sigh it's tough sometimes being a responsible adult!:) Love you!

Britney said...

I have some unsolicited advice... I think you can probably guess what it is. :D

I'll be praying for God to show you the way and to prepare your families' hearts to whatever decision he leads you to.

I love you, Mrs. Rue!

Anonymous said...

You know that Dad & I would love to have all of us living on the same street but we will settle for the same town!! It's hard to trust when things seem unsettled but I know that God has always been faithful so we will pray for perfect direction for your family. We love you!!! Mom