Thursday, January 24, 2008

Pretending

I have to admit, as I put Makenna's car seat into the cart at Harris Teeter I felt kind of awkward. I was here on a mission, and it seemed odd. I was down to only one child since I had dropped Braydon off at preschool. The morning had been so crazy and we rushed out of the house barely put together. Kenney's car had a flat tire, Makenna was fussy because she's got a cold, and Braydon was going slower than molasses! I had almost forgot to put shoes on, fortunately Braydon had noticed and reminded me. Sad, huh?!?

So, there I was in Harris Teeter about to take the plunge into a world foreign to me: the ORGANIC world! My sister had always been much more into this than I ever was. But now that Makenna is getting all of her nutrients from me, I'd come to the conclusion that I wanted to try to eat healthier. If Rachel and Andrea and many others can manage, why can't I? I tried to remember the words to avoid that Andrea had written in her blog. As I began picking things up and reading the ingredients lists, I soon realized almost everything has high fructose corn syrup in it. That was a little scary to think about (but I fondly remember how good it all tasted!!) I managed to find some organic wheat thin crackers and some chocolate chip cookies and put them in my cart.

Now on to the back of the store for the whole reason I came into the grocery store: to buy soy milk. I know it sounded gross, but I've got friends who love it and swear by it. So it couldn't hurt me to try it, could it? As I approached the milk section, I longingly passed the regular milk and went to the soy milk. For those of you who don't know, I've cut out dairy in my diet because it was upsetting Makenna's stomach and causing her to have really bad spit up issues. Since I've cut it out, her spit up is almost non-existent! (atleast my sacrifice is worth it!) So I looked at all the different kinds of soy milk and found myself feeling slightly uncomfortable. I didn't even have the first clue what I was looking for, besides a suitable substitute that would be able to be poured over my cereal that I missed so much! As I peaked around me to see if anyone was watching me (which of course they weren't) I was increasingly feeling out of my league. Omega 3 was good for you, I knew that much. One had that on the label. One was a chocolate milk. there were other types too. Then of course I could buy the store brand or the name brand one. The name brand one offered me a money back guarantee if I didn't like it, so I bought that one.

As I walked up to the check out counter, I have to admit I felt a little different. No longer was my cart full of chips or pop tarts. It felt like I was one of "those" moms: the ones that have it all together, that make homemade meals 3 times a day everyday of the year, who fed their kids everything they should and nothing that they shouldn't, who were at every soccer game, gymnastics competition, spelling bee, etc. But it didn't feel right, it felt like I was pretending.

The soy milk turned out to not be an acceptable alternative for me. I tried it with an open mind, but just could not get on board. But the good news is Braydon loves the organic wheat thins, and I haven't tried the cookies just yet. So far i'm 50-50 on this whole organic thing. I know that I won't go completely organic, but I have to admit my extra efforts to add in more fresh fruit and veggies has been successful. I need to be ok with who I am, and not pretend to be someone I'm not! I need to know that it won't be the end of the world if we eat high fructose corn syrup. Atleast it will be consumed in moderation, and I can try to balance it out by having those fresh veggies and fruits!

10 comments:

Choofy Mama said...

what kind of soymilk did you get? mairi drinks very vanilla soymilk-i don't like to drink it (but then again i don't like cow milk either to drink really) but on cereal and stuff, it's good, and if you use plain soy milk in recipes etc, you cannot tell the difference (if you used the vanilla kind you can though)

also, if you want healthier alternatives, it doesn't have to be overwhelming. i get a lot of stuff at superwalmart. they have a "generic" organic line, and it's delicious. and not too $$ really. also have you heard of annie's? we buy so much from them-bunny crackers that are like goldfish but so much healthier (and omg taste sooo much better) amy's is also a great line, of organic soups and such.

we made mairi's baby food, and that's when i started getting into organic, and now we use organic/all natural food b/c honestly, they just taste so much better and i feel so much better-even if it's "junk", like crackers or something, it doesn't make you feel as junky as some of the real junk food out there, kwim?

if you want links/some stuff to try, lmk :D

JEN

Christin said...

You also might try Rice milk or my mom and I like Almond Milk. We get the unsweetened stuff 'cause we have to use a natural sweetener in our food, but they have sweetened. We did soy for a while (the Silk brand) but soy has tons of estrogen in it and that wasn't good for either of us.
I will say though, on the subject of organic, the food just tastes better to me - especially the meats, fruits, and veggies. And you really feel better too. I'm not 100% organic either, but I do what I can. Publix, Kroger, and some Wal-Mart stores are carrying organic items now. Whole Foods is a great store too, but it can be a bit on the expensive side. Honestly the more organic things you introduce into your diet, they less illness you'll see in your kids too, IMO. Good Luck on your adventure!

Aprille said...

I think I will weigh in on this one. OK the soy thing - im with you on not liking the stuff but Ella used to spew like a can of beer when she was little. Along with dairy I couldn't have anything with tomato. boo try the rice milk at least while shes so sensitive. Also agree the Silk Vanilla is good on cereal if you just need something for that.

When you are up to it you need to check out Trader Joes in Cary. Affordable and good for you. Not everything is organic about 50% is but it is so much more affordable than Whole foods or the like.

I jumped on the organic bandwagon with Nate. I made his baby food not because I wanted to be supermom but because it was cheaper and less scary. As soon as he started eating things with more texture I started buying organic baby food because reading some of the ingredients (mechanically separated parts) totally grossed me out. Thankfully Nate is off baby food now but I think it about balanced out between what I saved making in the beginning vs spent w the organic. I definately felt more comfortable.

The rest of us suck it up and eat "conventional" most everything but I do love my Trader Joes!

Melanie said...

You should try Vanilla Rice Milk. It's sooooooo yummy. I don't like Soy Milk very much, but I LOVE me some Vanilla Rice Milk.

I beg everyone I know to stay away from high fructose corn syrup. Dextrose, as well. They're soooo incredibly horrible for you, and it's one of the big reasons Americans are obese! I try my best not to give any to Dylan because I don't want to set him up for failure once he reaches adulthood.

I agree with Aprille that Trader Joe's is not only healthy food, but sooooo inexpensive!!! I am in love with that place.

Innocence Underrated said...

I'm with your other commenter about soy and estrogens (makes my skin much worse) Did you see any Rice Dream rice milk? Less chalky texture than soy and very bland taste to go with anything. Betcha wish you had a Wegmans about now?! hehe. Seriously they have the best organic/natural/less crap foods section-I cannot live anywhere without my Wegmans. I may blog on my love affair wiht Wegmans...that's beyond this subject tho.

Innocence Underrated said...

Another thought..cuz I'm in the middle too. I'm also cheap haha. I just try to do ittle things like frozen veggies instead of canned, fresh is best but ya know. Wheat pasta instead of just white crap pasta ;) -100% juice only, and trying to make things from scratch instead of boxes or what not. Little at a time, there's easy ways to just make things a little healthier. But, you're right as long as you balance and include some physical activity the world will go on =)

Sgt and Mrs Hub said...

Baby steps, Christy! Don't get overwhelmed by trying to do it all at once. Just do a little at a time, as you can. And you'll find what works for your family.

I've never had the vanilla soymilk because of the sugar they add into it, but it sounds like it would be yummy on cereal. I've had rice milk, and in my opinion it's horrid. But, again that's my personal opinion. My dad loves it! Regular, unflavored soymilk is what I use to cook with. You can't taste the difference at all when it's like that.

Walmart is a great place to shop for organic stuff because it is less expensive - how I wish I had a regular Walmart to shop at. We have a really crappy small one that carries none of that kind of thing. I would love a Trader Joe's as well.

Always, always be Christy! There's no need to pretend to be anyone else! That would be no fun at all. :)

-Andrea

Christin said...

Trader Joe's rocks! I agree with everyone who mentioned that. I think they're less intimidating too, since it's almost like a little "mom and pop" size shop. Great wine section too, just saying. . . ;)

Anonymous said...

Christy,
I'm with you--all this organic stuff seems really overwhelming. My mom is into it and she naturally lowered her cholesterol--I mean, she lowered it so much she's like a "doctor's pet" now--everyone was so impressed. I don't blame you a bit about the soy milk--yuck. (My mom drinks it of course and she never did like milk before.) But it's a good thing to do for Makenna. I agree with the comment that said take baby steps--a little bit of change at a time. My mom did most of her changing at once, but hey, if she feels good about it and it's helping her, way to go. Good luck, and the other commenter was right too--just be Christy. Glad to hear Makenna and Braydon are doing well.

Mandy
Numbers 6:24-26

Rachel said...

Boots has a slogan that says "Change one thing". If you try to do too much, you might gt overwhelmed and give up. Just fociu on changing one thing at a time, and build up gradually. And in my opinion, there's always room for occasional (and in moderation) treats with some funky stuff in them. (Ah-hem, creamer!)