Tuesday, January 22, 2008

questions

I'm always inundated with questions from Braydon. Often times, they're questions he already knows the answer to, or they have no answer at all, or they are simply "But why?" to whatever response I had just given to his previous question. If you have or have had a young child, you know exactly the questions I'm talking about.

This morning while riding in the car, Braydon begun his usual 10 million questions. Most of the time I attempt to answer his questions in a nice tone, trying to mask my growing desire for quiet, (or at least to be able to hear the radio!) but every now & then, my frustration gets the better of me. Today was not one of those days, thankfully. His first question was why the 'train store' wasn't open yet (he calls Books-A-Million the train store because they have a huge Thomas the Train table.) His next question was what kind of animals do cowboys have to protect themselves against? (He got most of that question from a previously answered question of "mama why do cowboys need guns? to which I responded "to protect themselves from animals") One of my favorite questions he asked this morning was "Why is the policeman going to the donut store?" I chuckled and told him that it was a place where some policemen like to go! (and people wonder where stereotypes come from?!?) His next question began like all of his previous questions. "Mommy, what key doesn't open any doors?" I figured he was asking about keys because I had just called a rental company about going to look at a place for rent and I had asked about getting a key to look at it. I responded as I do when I don't know an answer or simply don't feel up to answering yet another question, "I'm not sure, honey." Out of nowhere, Braydon yells, "A PIANO KEY, MAMA!!" and started laughing so loudly he woke Makenna up. It was a joke, Braydon had just told his first joke! I laughed so hard and called Kenney because it was too funny.

I have to admit though, the annoying task of answering "why" after "why" after "why", is nothing compared to some of his questions. These questions are serious questions, and I don't feel prepared to answer them. Most of them are of a spiritual nature, and a lot of times, they catch me off guard. These questions are not ones that I want to answer half-heartedly or try to ignore. The answers that I give are sowing seeds into his heart and I don't want to say the wrong thing! "where does God live" or "Why does God live in Heaven?" which often lead to deeper questions like "If God lives inside of me, what does he eat?" or "how can Jesus live in my heart and in Gigi's heart at the same time?" (For those of you who don't know, Gigi is a nickname for my nephew Noah.) I don't know how to answer these questions, but I feel compelled to answer him because I want to foster a relationship where he feels he can come to me and ask serious questions. There are no rule books on this, and I know that no one can give me the answers. This is what I find so difficult! I feel that I am very knowledgeable in regards to Christianity. I have my wonderful parents and Lima Christian School to thank for this! But these questions coming from my own child stump me and leave me grasping at straws!

It's in these moments that I am reminded of how little I really do know and how much time I need to spend asking God to help us raise our children and steer them in the right direction!

6 comments:

Rachel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rachel said...

(I messed up my first comment)

Aw, how cute! I like the joke. Today, Noah went to a church play group so we were talking about Jesus on the way. I was telling Noah about how Jesus loves him and everybody else. I wanted to see if he got it so I asked him "Who does Jesus love?" And he said "Braydon!"

Innocence Underrated said...

So cute! And you're so right how what we do and say now shapes them for a long time, in everything. A daunting and imtimidating task at times! Such a far cry from being silly third chair clarinet eh? hehe I was thinking about that the other day and how we goofed off in band most of the time...

audrey said...

Awww... cousins are so cute! What an incredible GIFT to be able to tell the TRUTH to your son at this impressionable age and he will openly and willingly believe!

Aprille said...

Braydon told his first joke!! how sweeet! it is intimidating being the parents of smart kids when most of the time you just feel like your grasping at straws yourself lol.

Anonymous said...

Hi Christy!
Braydon is really amazing. The questions he was asking about Jesus are so sweet. Olivia (my niece) can come up with some surprising questions too. I'm thankful my mom is usually the recipient because somehow she always knows what to say. You are right--it is challenging to determine how to answer the question truthfully but in a way that children can relate to. The fact that his mind is coming up with those questions means that you are trying hard to instill that spiritual foundation in him and that is wonderful. Keep up the good work!

Mandy
Numbers 6:24-26