Thursday, January 31, 2008

Worrier or Warrior?

Every where I turn, I seem to be faced with a Bible story I've heard since I was a child. Perhaps, God is trying to tell me something. The story is one that is so widely known that people who aren't even Christians know by heart. It's the story of David and Goliath. My parents bought Braydon a "Bible Action figure" of David for Christmas (my nephew Noah received the "Noah" action figure.) *On a side note, my dad was very clear that it was NOT a doll, it was an action figure!* The action figure comes with a slingshot and a small cloth rock, and when you press the button, it tells the story of David and Goliath. Braydon just loves this toy and I hear the story all the time. Not only have I heard it this way, but almost everyday when I get into the car at different times of the day, I hear the song called "The Voice of Truth" by Casting Crowns. This song was also sung in our church this past Sunday. For those of you who may not be familiar with this song here are the lyrics:

"Oh what I would do to have
The kind of faith it takes
to climb out of this boat I'm in
Onto the crashing waves
To step out of my comfort zone
To the realm of the unknown where Jesus is
And He's holding out his hand

But the waves are calling out my name
and they laugh at me
Reminding me of all the times
I've tried before and failed
The waves they keep on telling me
Time and time again.
'Boy, you'll never win!' "You'll never win"

But the voice of truth tells me a different story
And the voice of truth says "Do not be afraid!"
And the voice of truth says "This is for My glory"
Out of all the voices calling out to me
I will choose to listen and believe the voice of truth

Oh what I would do to have
The kind of strength it takes
to stand before a giant
With just a Sling and a stone
Surrounded by the sound of a thousand warriors
Shaking in their armor
Wishing they'd have had the strength to stand

But the giant's calling out my name
and he laughs at me
Reminding me of all the times
I've tried before and failed
The giant keeps on telling me
Time and time again
"boy, you'll never win!"You'll never win"

But the stone was just the right size
To put the giant on the ground
And the waves they don't seem so high
From on top of them looking down
I will soar with the wings of eagles
When I stop and listen to the sound of Jesus
Singing over me

I will choose to listen and believe the voice of truth"

I found a devotional from a few years ago on Monday and when I opened up to a random page, guess what story it was about? You guessed, about David and Goliath. But for some reason, it was this that has allowed me to perhaps grasp something God is trying to tell me.

I'm normally a laid back, easy going person. I enjoy living life as it comes, and really am not much of a long-term planner. I mean I enjoy having an idea of where I'm going, but am totally content in knowing that I have a God that has a plan for my life. Knowing this often puts me at ease and helps me to trust God. He hasn't let me down thus far, so why not trust him?

My usual carefree attitude has quickly disappeared lately. I find myself in a state of constant worry about what's going to happen to our family. Where are we going to live, what is going to happen with Kenney's job, what if he loses his job, what will we do without health insurance if he does lose his job, what will we do if... or if this happens, how will we manage to survive? I shared this with Kenney last night, and he told me that the reason I probably am so worried is because for the first time in my "adult" life, I'm have no control in things. I have always worked and had a paycheck coming in. I have never had to let those responsibilities go to someone else. He made a good point, but it still felt like there was something else going on, but I just couldn't put my finger on it, until a few minutes ago.

I found myself singing the chorus to the "Voice of Truth" and felt like God was trying to ask me a question: Will I choose to worry about the incredibly huge giant ahead of me (the unknown future) or will I go straight towards that giant knowing that all I have in my hands is a small stone and a sling, but knowing that my God has already paved a path of victory for me? Will I be a worrier, stranded on the sidelines too affraid to move? Or will I be a warrior who is secure in knowing that the battle is not mine?

6 comments:

Aprille said...

yea. that made me cry. I am there right now. Sort of different but very much the same. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

That is amazing...our pastor preached on David and Goliath and having courage in our lives just a couple of weeks ago. I am a worrier...and while I worry about bigger issues like you mentioned, even small things get to me often. So it's good to know that other Christians struggle with this too.
Thanks for sharing, Christy.

Mandy
Numbers 6:24-26

Sgt and Mrs Hub said...

I think the control thing is why I am having such a hard time with this next assignment we are receiving. I have no control over any of it - and I hate that! I am so a type A person who needs to have all her ducks in a row. And that is not possible right now. Ugg! Thanks so much for writing this - I needed the encouragement it brought.

-Andrea

emily said...

Funny, I've been thinking about David and Goliath lately. Realizing the other day that David knew exactly what he was facing when he went to Goliath. He KNEW that he couldn't kill Goliath on his own. He knew exactly how big Goliath was, and exactly how small he was. But he went in with faith, knowing that even though the task was physically impossible for him, God had asked him to do it and would provide the right outcome. It's pretty encouraging! :)

Anonymous said...

wow.
after spending the day with you and your family, then reading this,
I know that the Lord is speaking to me very definitely.
this David and Goliath thing is for all of His kids, and I know that there is more for me to learn...hmm.
you are a beautiful young lady, christie, and i am so very proud to be your auntie. I have learned(and am still learning) so much from you..tia ;-)

Following Forward said...

Thnaks for stopping by! I love this post. It rings true to my heart lately. I have to keep reminding myself that my daughter is God's first- he can protect her and care for her better than I. To worry would to be losing trust in my Father.

Love this Casting Crowns song by the way!!!
Kaylyn