Thursday, February 7, 2008

Choices

"His master replied, 'Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master's happiness!' Matthew 25:21

On the way home from picking up Braydon from preschool, I realized that I had no bread for sandwiches for lunch. I could have made something else for lunch, but I'm a creature of habit and like having my peanut butter and jelly sandwich and peaches for lunch. I have it almost everyday. Yum! So reluctantly, I pulled into the Harris Teeter parking lot and took a deep breath. Braydon had a rough day at preschool and had been put on "red" for not listening to his teachers. I knew that this would be a challenge with Braydon. And Makenna was due to wake up at any given moment and want to eat. At that moment. I got out of my cart and prayed for patience.
When we got into the store, I went to grab a cart and Braydon took off in front of me. Oh, Lord! I thought. I tried to fit Makenna's car seat on the front part of the cart, but Harris Teeter has weird carts, so I had to put her in the main basket part. I looked up just in time to see Braydon standing by the "Shopper in Training" baskets. They're mini shopping carts and are basically a hazard when a excited 3.5 year old boy who hasn't been listening all morning gets behind it. I sighed and looked at my cart. I knew I wouldn't have room for groceries and him and my purse in the cart. I told him okay reluctantly and his face lit up, but with an evil grin.
We ventured to the other side of the store, where Braydon got a free sugar cookie--JUST what he needed. But we managed to get the bread & peanut butter, and went on to the back of the store. I had Braydon pick out his yogurt and put it in his cart. I continued to walk ahead towards the eggs. Out of no where, Braydon came crashing into the cart and startled Makenna so much and she woke up screaming! So i fussed at B for running in the store then tried to calm makenna. Luckily she fell back asleep. We managed to make it thru the rest of the store with minimal amounts of listening on B's part. Finally we made it to the check out line where they have strategically placed candy at children's eye level! This of course created a problem because Braydon wanted candy, and I told him no because he was on red at preschool & had not listened to a word I said the entire store. If you've ever been in this position, you know that by saying "No" you create a big problem: a screaming child that draws all eyes to you like you had just beat your child in front of their very eyes. I said no, and I had to stick to it no matter what B did or said. "But I need it" and "I hate you!" (which I totally was not prepared to hear so early in his life!) But we walked out of that store without candy, just as I had said.
As I was getting B into his car seat, a worker from Harris Teeter helped me put the groceries in my car. When I went to get Makennas car seat out of the basket, I noticed a 1/2 gallon of Apple cider sitting there. I knew that I had forgotten it and had not paid for it. I had a choice to make. No one had seen it, the sensors in the store didn't catch it when I walked out. It was only $3, and a big company like Harris Teeter wouldnt close up from the loss of $3! I sat there and had to make a quick decision: put it in my car and go on like nothing happened, get B and makenna back out of the car and go back in and pay for it (and risk fighting him again about the candy) or I could send it back in with the man who unloaded my groceries.
I ended up sending the apple cider back in with the man, who seemed very surprised. I was really disappointed because it was one of the things that I had bought just for me. I hardly ever buy something just for me, but I knew that I couldn't take it without paying for it. I knew that even if the only one who ever knew about it was God, that it was important enough to do the right thing. Who knows, maybe Braydon watched me send it back and one day will do the right thing because of it, ya just never know! I do know that God asks us to be faithful in all things, big AND small.
Even though I couldn't mark much off of my "to do" list from yesterday besides going grocery shopping and laundry, I could add "be faithful" to the list and cross it off proudly!
P.S. I told Kenney about my story and he picked up the Apple Cider on the way home for work!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guarantee you that Braydon is watching every move you make. I think what you did was significant for the Kingdom of God. And I applaud you for it.
A proud father,
Dad

Rachel said...

Good for you. Little things count.

I wouldn't have had such a good attitude after dragging two kids through the store!