Thursday, February 28, 2008

dating with a breast pump?

So, the other night, Kenney & I both ventured into new territory...Our first date night WITHOUT both kids! We left them with my parents and I was quite nervous because I wasn't sure if she'd take the bottle while we were gone. I suppose I wouldn't have worried much if we were just going out in Rocky Mount. We went to the NC State-Florida State game In Raleigh, which is 45 minutes away! Just getting everything together was quite a task in and of itself, but finally (almost 45 minutes later than we had planned), we left Rocky Mount and set off for first (of many, I hope!) date night!



As I got into Kenney's car, I handed him my breast pump. It dawned on me that this was odd. I've never pumped any where other than my house and my parents house. This would definitely be a first for me. I jokingly asked Kenney how it felt to be dating a woman AND a breast pump? Of course he made a crude comment.
My first experience pumping in the car went pretty well. I managed to only accidentally flash a truck driver once while pumping, and managed to get all of the milk (minus a drop or two) into where it needed to go. thankfully it was cold outside, although I had brought ice packs to keep the milk until we got home. I was happy to hear that Makenna managed to drink two bottles without a problem, but was very fussy the rest of the night. This is the first time anyone has taken care of her besides Kenney or myself. I know I should probably put her in nursery at church, but I don't like the idea of that just yet.

We went with our good friends Larry & Erin, and even though we were pretty much all the way in the nose bleed section, we had a GREAT time, and can't wait to hang out with them again.
Great people, great time, not so great loss (again).

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad you had a good time! Sounds like you got all "pumped up" for your big night out!
Dad

Rachel said...

Here's a pumping trick I learned: anytime you need (or want) to get out of a situation, tell the person (especially if it's a man) that you have to pump breastmilk. It's very important that you use the words PUMP and BREAST. Watch 'em squirm... Works like a charm. :)

Aprille said...

Hey don't feel bad on the nursery thing. I am the nursery director and kept Nate upstairs with me till he was about 6 months lol. With Ella it was even longer. Glad you had a good time and I am glad she took the bottle for your night out.

Sgt and Mrs Hub said...

I've done the whole pump in the car thing too. And, of course I have nursed ( while parked!). I love watching people who look in my car (people are SO nosy!) realize I am nursing and get all embarrassed. Makes me giggle!

What a fun night! I am really happy for you guys! Alone time.... So refreshing, isn't it!

-Andrea

Britney said...

Congratulations on having a night out.

That's a great picture of Larry and Erin; did you take it?