Friday, February 8, 2008

Made up my mind

I've been hemming and hawing (is that really how you spell that?!?) about what I want to do aside from my role as loving mother and endearing wife. So, what else would any one do? Finish college, of course! I already had an application on file with NC State University, it was just awaiting the supplamental documentation of transcripts from the myriad of colleges I've attended. (Sadly, this process took longer than the actual process of re-activating my WolfPAW website!) So hopefully in the fall I can go back atleast half time, which is 6 credits or 2 classes. I can handle that I think! I figure if I can do one online and one on campus, I can put Makenna in the Mother's morning out at our church, which is where Braydon attends preschool.

I spent the majority of today trying to figure out what I should get my degree in. I guess that would help, wouldn't it?!? I looked at my options. I could finish with a history degree, but I don't really want to be a history teacher or work at a museum which is pretty much what I could with a history degree. I could major in Elementary education, but this would take forever for me to get a degree in this with all of the classes and student teaching that I'd need. I could study either English or Spanish. I've recently rediscovered my interest in writing, but I'm not to keen on grammar and spelling. Spanish is good, but not something I want to get a degree in. And for some reason, since it's been almost 6 years since I've taken my last college spanish class, it's kind of intimidating. Communications? Perhaps, but once again it would take forever for me to graduate with this kinda degree @ State. So where does that leave me?

I had no clue until it dawned on me. Why not religious studies? I've already got what Lee University considered a minor in Bible. And this is something that I can use no matter what I decide to do. In every aspect of life, it will help me. Learning about other religions can help me lead them to Christ and give me more understanding on different cultrues. If I go into any ministry this degree can help me. And even if I do nothing but teach my children what I learned, it would be well worth it, don't you think?

This will be interesting you see because Kenney wants to go back to school too. And he really needs to, too. In his field, he basically has to have atleast a two year degree to be considered for anything, and he's half way to that 2 year degree. So do you think we can manage with us both being enrolled in school at the same time? We're going to try it, thats for sure.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bravo!!!
Dad

Aprille said...

Great! I totally encourage you both. It can be done and especially online. I pretty much finished my 2 year online. Also I am working on the Bachelors. If you need to fill in gaps around the religion courses - and even some of them check out http://web.uncg.edu/dcl/icampus/ .

Aprille said...

btw... Alex and I have both been in school either one or the other or both for the good portion of our marriage. =)

B Layne said...

I love you, Christy.

I miss you, too. Do you wanna bring that precious baby girl and visit me?

Rachel said...

Here's my two pence: I think it's a really good idea to get a degree since it opens up a lot more door s to you. However, being the proud owner of a pretty much useless degree, think carefully about what you want as a career and get the qualifications for it, even if it means a little extra time. If you're really interested in photography, do courses in that, even if it means starting from scratch. Or if you want to teach, just take the extra year or whatever it takes to do that. That way, at the end of it all, you can actually USE that piece of paper instead of just filing it away along with the rest of your student loans. :) But that's just my opinion!

Innocence Underrated said...

Oh I'm so with Rachel. My Psych degree is a bunch of BS really. No one wants it, only entry level jobs that pay garbage. Daycares want bachelor's degrees now. I'm starting to look at some jobs again and I find it depressing because they want specific degrees, everyone thinks degrees likle psych, communication, etc are just 'fillers'. If I had known I would have at least got a degree in SW or Ed or something that 'mattered'.

B Layne said...

I remember that puking... it curbed my desire to drink a lot too!