Thursday, February 14, 2008

Our Love Story


In honor of Valentine's Day, I'm participating in my friend Andrea's blogfest about how Kenney & I fell madly in love! I'm not too sure how to put a link in this post, so to have access to all the other love stories, click on Sgt & Mrs. Hub under my favorite blogs!



Braydon & I the first week we were in Virginia


During the summer of 2005, I decided that I was going to move to Virginia Beach, VA to go to Regent University. I knew that I wouldn’t be able to afford living on my own up in the Hampton Roads area, so I started checking out Craigslist, roommates.com, rent.com, etc. trying to find a roommate. I eventually found one that seemed pretty decent, we met when I went up there to look for places. She had a 3 year old daughter, and we both we’re single parents so we had a bond. We found a 3 bedroom townhouse in the Timberlake area of Virginia Beach, and we moved in rather quickly in July.

Since I knew no one in the area, I started trying to find people who knew the area well and who could show me around. My roommate introduced me to the world of Myspace, and one day I was looking for people in the Virginia Beach area who were online, and Kenney’s profile popped up. It said he lived in the same neighborhood as I did, so I sent him an email just to say hi and to see if he still lived near me. It turns out that he lived literally across the street from me!

The first picture I saw of Kenney!
We talked on instant messenger for a while, and one day he asked me for my phone number. I gave it to him, and he called shortly thereafter. He wanted to meet me, and I have to admit I was kind of gun shy about meeting guys off of the computer. I won’t go into detail, but let’s just suffice it by saying I had many good reasons to be wary.

I knew that he worked at a LensCrafters at the mall near my townhouse, and I decided to go visit him there. I figured this way, if he turned out to be creepy, he couldn’t follow me home since he was working. He turned out to be very nice, and we talked for a few minutes in person, but I didn’t stay long because I had Braydon with me and I didn’t want to get Kenney in trouble. So we continued to talk on the phone, and he started coming over before heading to school or in between school and work. He was goofy, which made me laugh. But he could also be cocky and liked to talk about himself and brag, which was a total turn off to me. To be honest, I could only take him in small doses at a time. He was fun to be around though, and Braydon & him got along well.

I started school, which was hard because I had to pay for a babysitter but had no way to pay for one. The school had promised me more financial aid then they actually gave me, so I had to find a job as well. Kenney one day volunteered to watch Braydon for me so I could go to class one night without having to pay a babysitter. I was reluctant but I was in a bind, and so I took him up on his offer. When I arrived home from class, Braydon was fast asleep (something I had been struggling to do!)

Our first date if you can call it that, was actually to Pizzeria Uno’s. We went to the mall with Braydon, and had pizza. The lady asked us how many and I responded “1 adult and 2 children” and Kenney just laughed. And then I told her that it was really 2 adults and 1 child. We ate there because Kenney had never eaten Chicago-style pizza, and I lived in Chicago for a while, so it was neat that I got to introduce him to a different style of pizza.





We call these are "Bonnie n Clyde" photos (we've got a ton of them!)



A few months after I met him in Virginia, I decided to move back to NC due to financial problems with my school. The day after Christmas B and I flew to Philadelphia to visit Braydon’s biological father and his family. It was during this trip that I realized all that Kenney had to offer, despite how annoying he was at times. Kenney just figured that it was over between us, and I guess I did too. We kept talking as often as we had up in VA, and he started coming down on his days off. Gotta love chuck e cheese!

our first family photo

After having returned home from one such trip, Kenney hopped right back in the car and drove 2.5 hours extra to come take care of me because I went to the ER because I was sick. He was only there for a few hours before he had to head back to VA because he had to work. I knew he was “the one” after watching him take care of me that day. He sat there and just stroked my hair. A few months later, Kenney got a job and an apartment in Rocky Mount, and we’ve been together officially since then.
At my sister's wedding (A month after we got engaged)

Around midnight one night, I was awoken by my older sister Rachel, saying there was someone who had just stopped by the house and left something on my parents’ doorstep. I was very out of it, and I got up and went downstairs, still very confused why a stranger would leave something on the front step and why did she need me to get it when she could have gotten it? Well, I opened the front door and there was one gerbera daisy flower with a note attached telling me that I was going on a scavenger hunt. The first clues were in my parents’ house, and Rachel had to help me because I was still out of it because I had been asleep. Then the next clue told me to go get dressed that there were still clues waiting for me. The clues lead me all over town, to the daycare where I worked at the time, to the craft section in Wal-Mart, a local restaurant, a hotel, to Kenney’s apartment, the church behind my parents’ house. At each place, one of my parents was there waiting for me and handed me a different gerbera daisy and a new clue. The last clue sent me back to my parents’ house to check my email. That is where an email was waiting from Kenney telling me to go outside in the backyard and there was something waiting for me out there. When I opened up the back door, I saw Kenney standing with a bouquet of daisies, surrounded by candles covering the patio, a blanket spread out on the patio, with pillows, and champagne, chocolate covered strawberries, and Brian McKnight playing in the background. My mouth dropped open, and he grabbed me by the hands and got down on one knee and said “You know I’m not very good at speeches, but I love you very much. Will you marry me?” Of course I said yes, and he put the ring on me and kissed me! My parents, my sister & her husband were all waiting and came out to congratulate us, and then let us have some time by ourselves.




We were married 9 months later, and 9 months later our pretty expensive honeymoon souvenir was born. Makenna just lights up when she hears or sees her Daddy (now if only we could get him to do that in the middle of the night!!)


Our first (almost) year has been full of ups and downs, with Kenney being laid off from his job only 2 weeks after returning from our honeymoon, to being violently ill from “all day” sickness (I can’t call it morning sickness because it lasted all day for 7 months!)

in our townhouse together

celebrating with friends at a birthday party

Some people have a song that they pick out (which is Back at One, by Brian McKnight) but we also have a bible verse that is “ours”:

“I have found the one whom my soul loves.”

Song of Solomon 3:4

14 comments:

Jacki said...

I am visiting from Sgt. and Mrs. Hubs, and just gotta say I really loved reading your story. Thanks for sharing!!

KT said...

Great Love Story! Loved reading it!

Sandra said...

What a great love story, how sweet :)

Tarrah said...

What an amazing proposal!

Rachel said...

Cool proposal. ;)

Michelle said...

That is so sweet!

Catlin Humes said...

You have a wonderful story! I loved reading it

Anonymous said...

Christy,
I remember the story from when we worked together but it was so awesome reading it on Valentine's Day! I just read Rachel's too and both stories remind me of how wonderful the Lord is and how He always has a hand in our lives even when we don't see it at the time. He sent both of you really special guys who love the Lord and you and your children. We don't hear enough about that kind of love! Thanks for sharing it on such a special day. Give a hug to B and your "honeymoon souvenir"!!

Mandy
Numbers 6:24-26

Ginger said...

He sounds like a great catch...I love the proposal!!

Anonymous said...

We are so thankful for how good God has been to you and Braydon by completing your family by sending you Kenney, and now Makenna. Hang on to this miracle as you go through the years, and draw strength from it.
Love,
Dad

Sgt and Mrs Hub said...

Love it, love it, love it! What an awesome love story you guys share. And what a caring, loving husband you have! I hope you had a wonderful and very special day together!

-Andrea

Killlashandra said...

What a beautiful story.

Kathleen Marie said...

What a wonderful story and I know God will use you both mightily. He is so good to give us the desires of our heart. Your children are so cute! Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

AWESOME story Christy! I am so glad you found happiness and a wonderful husband. You deserve it! You are a wonderful mom! Love your blogs! Very inspiring!
Love,
Melanie