Sunday, February 17, 2008

sleepless nights, the doctor disaster & the aftermath....

On Wednesday, I put Makenna to sleep and laid down myself around 7 PM, thinking that it was like any other night, and would have about 2-2.5 hrs. before Makenna would want to eat again. Fifteen minutes after I put her down, she woke up screaming, with a different cry than normal. It was the "HELP ME! I'M IN PAIN" cry. I tried calming her down, I tried to burp her, I changed her diaper, I gave her gas drops, tried to feed her again even though it wasn't time, etc. I did everything I could imagine. But nothing I did helped sooth her. Kenney tried calming her as well but to no avail. The entire night, Makenna slept no more than 20 minutes at a time, in between shrieks of pain and being inconsolable. I was really, really tired in the morning, and since it was a Thursday, Braydon did not have preschool, so he was going to be with us all day. I prayed for patience, because I knew it was going to be a long day. I also had put off making valentine's day cards for Kenney & my parents til the last minute, which is always interesting. Makenna was still fussy all day and just couldn't seem to get settled. Thursday evening, I just about collapsed into the bed, and Kenney took her for me so I could get a few hours of sleep. The rest of the night though I was up with her, and just knew something wasn't right. In the middle of the night, I noticed she had broken out in a rash every where, all over her back, her arms, her legs, her stomach, her chest, her face, etc. But she didn't have a fever, and she was nursing fine, so I figured it was just the lotion.

On Friday, I went over to my parents house, and showed my mom the rash. She suggested I call the doctor, which I did. They told me to come right up, but to be ready to wait because they were packed. We went up there and got called back after waiting 1/2 hour up front. Then once they got Makenna's vitals and weight (by the way, she is now 9 lbs 14.5 oz!!) Then we had to wait forever and a day for her doctor to come in. Makenna was crying hysterically, and Braydon wouldn't sit still and was driving me nuts. Then he had to go to the bathroom. So we went to the potty, but he couldn't go stinky in a "weird" bathroom. We went back to the room, and he kept saying he had to stinky, but we had just tried. Finally, makenna's doctor came in. She examined her, and couldn't figure out what was wrong really, so she had us go get blood work done. They pricked her heal, and the guy didn't put enough pressure on it so, she bled straight thru the bandaid, down my arms, and all over the place. Not fun, and of course, I had a white shirt on that day! So I go back to the lab, and they stop the bleeding, and help clean up my arms. When we get back to the room, Makenna was screaming and it was well past her time to eat, so I tried to feed her, which calmed her down, but then Braydon said "Uh oh, mommy" of course he had stinkied on himself, which wasn't his fault, because he had told me several times, and I had told him to wait. And his change of clothes is in his backpack, which is of course, in the car. The one time he didn't want to bring his backpack somewhere is the day he needed it, go figure! I checked the diaper bag to see if maybe I had thrown an extra pull up in there, which I remember had been used on the way home from Raleigh, the night of the super bowl. Of course I had absolutely nothing remotely close for a pair of underwear for him, so I figured I could take him down to the bathroom, and just have him take off the dirty underwear and just go comando til we could make it home. Did I mention I was still trying to nurse Makenna? She had just started nursing less than 5 minutes prior to B's announcement, and if I pulled her off now, especially with all of the "trauma" she had been through with the exam from the dr and the heal stick, she would scream without stop. So I'm walking down the hall (for nearly the 20th time) to the bathroom, trying to keep my blanket over myself to give me some privacy while I nursed Makenna.

As we entered the bathroom, I saw that my idea of B going comando was now out of the picture because he of course had a runny BM, and it had gone through to his pants. I tried quickly to come up with some sort of plan, but nothing came to mind. There I am squatting down, still nursing, trying not to fall over, trying not to drop Makenna, and trying to get Braydon out of his clothes without getting poop everywhere. As I managed one handed to get one leg out of his clothes, Makenna detatched from me, causing her to let everyone know in a high pitch tone she was not very happy with me. Breastmilk started going everywhere, of course, I fell to the ground, managing to get poop on my white shirt.

At this point, I was almost in tears. What am I supposed to do? I tried to manage to hook my bra up so I could atleast stop that leak. Makenna still kept crying, and all I just kept saying was "I can't do this by myself!" and B's response was "just put Makenna down, Mama" and of course I snapped at him (which I immediately felt guilty for) "where do u suggest I put her down Braydon?" So I looked around and of course there were no diaper changing stations in this bathroom. there was no where to sit her. So I grabbed her blanket, laid it on the floor, which immediately made me almost gag at the thought of all the nasty things that were on the floor and prayed to God that He would protect her from all the icky things on the floor. I laid her down, which made her wail even louder. I managed to clean Braydon up somewhat, and got his clothes off. But now what do I do? I couldn't just let him walk down the hall to the room half naked since we passed the lab waiting area, which had lots of people there. Call me funny, but I'm not into exposing my dear child to all of those people. So I pick Makenna off of the blanket, and almost puked in the toilet at the thought of where she had just been. Lord forgive me for being a terrible parent, and Makenna don't hate me forever because I laid you on the bathroom floor, I thought. I didn't have any other option, so I grabbed the phone, and called Kenney. I don't remember what I told him, but he got the point and knew that he needed to come quickly and bring clothes for Braydon.

I grabbed the now yucky blanket off of the floor and turning it the other way, told Braydon to drape it around himself. We slowly made our way back to the room, and then had to wait for Makenna to give a urine sample, which involved a whole lot of waiting and putting her hands and feet under running water, but atleast they didn't have to use a catheter. (sp?)

FINALLY, Kenney arrived with clothes for Braydon, and he stayed for a while but then he took B home because he had been cooped up in that doctor's office for about 3 hours already. When she did finally go to the bathroom, it only took a few minutes before her dr. came back in and told us what was wrong. She had a urinary tract infection, as well as a viral infection (which was causing the bumps) and a yeast infection under her chin. So we got some medicine, and left there, and she's been much happier since then, and we've actually had some sleep.

This is the best I could do because she was crying and in pain on Valentine's day...her cousin Chloe has a matching one. I'm going to try to get a better picture of her in her LoveBug onesie tomorrow!

9 comments:

B Layne said...

How horrible. I hope your weekend was much more peaceful and relaxing.

Rachel said...

Yikes! That's a lot of "crap" to deal with... :)

Aprille said...

Covered in milk, blood and poop. What an accurate picture of motherhood! I am pretty sure there is a badge for having that all at once!! you were only missing vomit and snot lol. I am definately sure there are no penalties for needing to put your kid down to de-poop the other one. It is definately these days that make you appreciate the better days. You made it through! I'm glad they were able to diagnose her!!

Innocence Underrated said...

i have to say this made me smile because it's one of those things that happen to all of us! but i felt bad for smiling when i know it was horrible for you! if you can do this you can do anything right?! just pretend that doctor's bathrooms are cleaner than mall bathrooms! I'm sure they are! and thank God she didn't have to have a catheter, that would be so awful!

KT said...

Oh, poor baby, and poor mama! Glad they found out what was bothering her and that you are sleeping a bit more!

bethany said...

Ugh, it sounds awful! I could just picture it all in my head, too. I'm glad they figured out what was wrong and she's doing better. :)

Sgt and Mrs Hub said...

Oh.My.Goodness. That sounds like a nightmare - a Mama nightmare. I am so sorry you had to go through that. You seemed to have handled it all really well, considering!! I do hope Makenna is well on her way to being fully healthy. Poor girl - I would've been screaming too! Ugg! Thinking about it again just gives me the shivers!

-Andrea

Melanie said...

Goodness, what a rough day! Sending lots of hugs your way, I hope things look up soon. :)

Innocence Underrated said...

You reminded me of my own yucky bathroom story. My family and I were at Macaroni Grill up here, Kian was about 4 months old. He was getting very fussy and very hungry. So before our food came I decided I better nurse him, well it was really busy and I didnt feel like nursing him right there. I figured, restaurants have decent bathrooms with a few chairs right? Wrong. This place had NO chair in there. I considered going and asking them to bring one in, but he was really screaming at that point. So, I sat down on the nasty bathroom stall floor and nursed him there. Soooo gross. I wanted to jump in a pool of bleach! Luckily he didn't touch it, only me. ick. ick ick!