Saturday, March 8, 2008

Sweet Rewards...

Sometimes you get sick of saying "no" as a parent. And sometimes, you just wish that your child would obey so you won't have to punish them or spank them for the millionth time for the EXACT same offense. I have a child who is stubborn (shocked, aren't you?!? I wonder where he got it from?!?) and is a repeat offender, regadless of consequences. I've been praying about what to do with Braydon. He's got to learn that he cannot make our lives miserable to get what he wants. But at the same time, I want him to have good experiences.

At preschool, they use a "stop sign" as a their choice of behavior modification. If you listen, do what you're told, are nice to your fellow classmates, you stay on green. If you are struggling with obeying teachers, or anything like I've just mentioned, after several warnings, you're moved to yellow. And if they continue to have to warn you about the same things, you're moved to red. For many weeks, I'd come home frustrated with Braydon, and with myself, because of him being on red constantly. I racked my brain trying to figure where I'd gone wrong.

Anyways, I figured this week we'd try to find some positive reinforcements for good behavior at school (they already have it at preschool: if they stay on green all week, they get a candy on Friday. If they stay on green for a whole month, they get to pick from the treasure chesst.) But somehow this wasn't incentive enough. I told B that if he stayed on green all week, I'd take him to get a donut on Saturday morning, just the two of us. Now, I've offered this before, (the donut thing) but I think what worked was the fact that it was going to be only him and me. Daddy & Makenna would stay at home while we went out to celebrate his good behavior.

He sure enough was on green the whole week, even when his friends were on yellow and red (which is a BIG thing for B, because he usually follows the crowd...) So this morning, Mommy & Braydon went to Krispy Kreme and got a donut, then went to Harris Teeter to get him a balloon (they give them out free to all the kids). We're very proud of him, and we made a big deal out of it. I want to make sure that Braydon knows that I still have time to spend with him alone even though Makenna is here.

Here are some pictures of us when we got home after our "date" morning!



B got to watch Bibleman Jr. and loved it!

7 comments:

Carina said...

That's great that you've spent some time with just the two of you. I remember as a child I always loved the individual attention I got :) It doesn't have to be all that much, just enough to know that you're still a special child in you're parent's eyes. A little tricky when there's a new baby in the family to be taken care of too!

Aprille said...

good for him. and good for you. Ella and I have a date today and we are both excited!

American Mum said...

cute. shoulda been dunking donuts. and shoulda been pumpkin muffins. i have an obsession. :)

Anonymous said...

Good for you, Christy! You will never know what an an impact doing things like this will have on Braydon. And on you.
Love,
Dad

Anonymous said...

Good for you, Christy! You will never know what an an impact doing things like this will have on Braydon. And on you.
Love,
Dad

Elizabeth F. said...

We use the stop sign at our house too, b.c both of our kids have the same system at school. It made sense to us, since they already understand this system! If you like Krispy Kreme, remind me to give you a coupon. My mother works there in another city! LOL! I also have some Bibleman videos if you'd like to borrow them!
P.S. I found out that my FAmily Doctor does not turn away patients for any reason, including non-vax or extended schedule etc... Dr. Nadine Skinner. So, I will be prepared for our ped visit.

Sgt and Mrs Hub said...

I loved this post! What a great job Braydon did! I bet he felt how proud you were of him and the donuts were just a bonus. I hope he does great again this week - those special moments with only mom are crucial. Good for you in recognizing that.

-Andrea