Thursday, May 8, 2008

13 reasons to breastfeed!

This weeks edition of my "Thursday 13" is 13 reasons to breastfeed! This is not meant to make anyone feel bad, so if you could not/chose not to breastfeed, that's your choice. I only breastfed Braydon for 6 weeks, so I can say I have been on both sides of the fence!

These are 13 reasons why someone should consider breastfeeding. For more information on breastfeeding, you can visit Elizabeth who is a La Leche leader or visit La leche to find a group in your area!

1.) It's free. No extra cost involved!

2.) Breastfeeding helps mommy bond with her baby. All those extra hormones can create such a special relationship with the child!

3.) It's "green". There are no containers that will eventually end up in a landfill somewhere.

4.) It helps mommy: after birth, breastfeeding stimulates contractions to help your uterus shrink back down to it's normal size. Although these can be uncomfortable at first, at least you know it's helping you get your shape back!

5.) During natural disasters, there's no need to worry about how you are going to get food for your baby. It's right with you at any time, at any place. And no need to worry about contamination because you don't have to mix it with water.

6.) It's convienent: In the middle of the night, there is no waking up, having to mix and/or heat up a bottle. You can plop em on and they get to eat right away! Also, no need to worry about running out or running to the store in the middle of the night when you realize you have no more formula!

7.) It's portable! No need to worry about vacations or outings. Whereever you go, your child's food is always with you and ready at any given time!

8.) Your milk is exactly what your baby needs: your milk changes in order to meet your childs needs as they grow. How many formulas can say that?

9.) Breastmilk offers your child immunities that helps them avoid sicknesses such as ear infection, childhood lymphomas and diabetes.

10.) Breastfeeding can increase your child's IQ by up to 7 points.

11.) Breastfeeding lowers the risk of breast cancer for mom as well as for her daughter down the road.

12.) Breastmilk can help cure other ailments such as eye infections.

and finally....

13.) God gave women breasts for a reason....to feed our children! (sorry men! You get the left overs! hahaha!)

To read other Thursday 13ers, click here.

6 comments:

MomOnTheGo said...

Good post - not pushy and not judgemental. I tell people that one day of breastfeeding is better than none and so on.

siteseer said...

Good TT. My daughter has been breastfeeding her daughter for the past 9 months. She'll probably do it for the first year. She's introducing new foods at this time and that's fun to watch her try to learn to chew lol. Good job. Keep it up

Sgt and Mrs Hub said...

I enjoy nursing so much, and I am always really sad when that special time is over! I am glad it is going so well for you and Makenna!

-Andrea

Monday through Sunday said...

All excellent reasons! I have nursed all my five and it was well worth it!

Elizabeth F. said...

Amen Sista! Preach it. LOL! Breastfeeding moms rock.

Sharla said...

I am a mother of four boys. I nursed the first two until they were 1 and then when I found out I was having twins everyone told me that I probably wouldn't be able to breastfeed. Well, they turned one almost a month ago and they are still breastfeeding! We've gone straight over to milk and sippy cups but they still want some of mommy when they are tired. I was excited when I saw this post because this is something I really feel strongly about. Oh, and one more thing breast milk is good for: getting rid of diaper rash. My babies got one really bad where they had almost open sores and nothing worked until my friend told me to use my milk. It worked! So there's one more you can add to your list!