Thursday, May 8, 2008

Confession Corner...

*****Update*****
In order to give more people a chance to participate, I'm extending the deadline for enteries til Monday 11PM EST. I'll pick a winner on Tuesday morning!

Think back to when you were 8 or 9 years old. You know the “good ol’ days”, the days before boobs, PMS, and all of those great things that come along with being female. What did you want to do when you “grew up”? Maybe you wanted to be a flight attendant, a nurse in the emergency room or a teacher. Perhaps you dreamed about becoming an astronaut or if you were really gutsy you might have even set your sight on the oval office. I wanted to become an Olympic gymnast and follow in the footsteps of Nadia Comaneci, Mary Lou Retton, or Kim Zmeskal. Whatever your dream was, think about that for just a moment.

If you’re anything like me, in that one moment while you were reliving your childhood fantasy of how your life would become, it was rudely interrupted by a “MOOOOOMMMMMYYY!” yelled from the top of the stairs.

That’s my life. I’m a stay at home mommy to two wonderful children. My life is centered around changing diapers, doing dishes, folding laundry, and playing “freeze” tag. My clothes don’t fit any where near where the once did. I hate to admit that I still wear a few maternity tops. The ones that do fit either have all sorts of bodily fluids on them (from breast milk to spit up to I don’t even want to venture a guess!) or are out of season. (I often spend more time trying to find weather appropriate clothing that fits to go out of the house than I actually spend OUTSIDE of my house!)

I’m often discouraged about this new life I signed up for. I find myself losing my temper at the littlest thing my 4 year old son does. Or burst into tears because I used the last of the butter last night and didn’t have time to run to the store and I’m in the middle of cooking dinner that requires said butter. Or I crawl into my “hole” once the kids are in bed and don’t talk to my husband. These are things that I can’t stand that I do, and I know they are affecting my family. Many times I read my friends’ blogs in amazement and wonder how I’m the only one who can’t figure out this “mommy” life. Why does every one else have it together? Why can they plan menus, make their own gourmet meals, drive their kids to all of their activities on time, go to church, lose all of their “baby” weight, do clever art projects with their kids and still have time to write about it?

It is in these moments that I pause and remember that to think these other women have it all together is a lie straight from Satan. There is no one who is perfect, not one. Satan likes to make us feel that we’re inadequate, that we’re alone in our struggles. We may excel in one area but we’re totally lacking in others. Women often face these struggles alone because Satan makes us think every one else has it figured out.

Here is my challenge to you: Take a few moments to examine your life. What is it that you don’t feel adequate about? What do you feel like you’re the only who struggles with? I’m begging the other mommies out there to step up and admit that we’re not perfect. Who knows, your “confession” might just make another mommy’s day out there in blogland. Come join the "confession corner"! Post about it then come back here and use Mr. Linky. Go visit the other mommies, read their confessions and leave a little bit of encouragement. We all know we can use it!!

On Saturday morning, I will put all of the names in a hat who participated, and have Braydon pull out one lucky mommy who will receive a Rodan & Fields Perfect Pair set. Included in this set is Reverse Exfoliate: Microdermabrasion Paste, a combination of salt, sugar and vitamins C & E that gently exfoliate while reducing environmental damage, and Essentials Protect SPF 30, a lightweight, oil-free lotion that provides ultra protection from the sun’s harmful rays.


8 comments:

Aprille said...

will post later!

American Mum said...

same here

Anonymous said...

Christy, I think this is a great idea because there is no perfect mom. When you are a stay at home mom sometimes you feel like you aren't doing anything important, but you are doing the most important job ever- You are raising to two beautiful children. I marvel at both you and Rachel and what wonderful mothers you are!!! Motherhood is a journey of ups and downs, enjoy every moment because they fly by very fast!! Mom

Melanie said...

Christy- I just posted a confessional blog and it was purely coincidence! (or not, depending on your views). How weird, huh?

Sarah said...

I'm glad you extended the deadline!! I wanted to participate, but missed the original deadline!! I'll try to get this post in tomorrow!!

Sharla said...

Thank you so much for this post. It is so nice to know that there are mothers out there going through the EXACT same things that I am. I'm with you 100% on all of your thoughts on your post. Satan wants us to compare our weaknesses to the strengths of the mothers around us. And yet how fair is that to ourselves? Chances are we have strengths that are their weaknesses. So the best we can do is to learn from each other.

Kelly H said...

Great idea for a contest! Hope I win!

American Mum said...

Yay! I'm so excited! Thanks for hosting!