Wednesday, May 28, 2008

The daddy learning curve...

Kenney is such a great husband and a wonderful father to B & Makenna. He works really hard to provide for our family. But he sometimes struggles, how do I say this...to be a gentle daddy. Kenney comes from a military family, and when his dad was home, he always was riding Kenney about something he had done or hadn't done. I know Kenney doesn't mean to do this with Braydon, but it's what he's learned, it's what he knows. Everytime something happens that I wish he'd handled differently, I've been attempting to take a different approach.

Previously, I'd say something to Kenney, putting my two cents in, and in reality, undermining him in front of Braydon although that was not my intention. I know this is not right, and I cannot do that Kenney. If I don't respect Kenney in front of the kids, they will not respect him either. Here's my new approach: I pray. Crazy sounding, I know. A little naive, perhaps. But I know that I cannot change Kenney. Kenney cannot change what he doesn't see to be "wrong" (not that he's wrong, but we just disagree sometimes). The only one who can change him is God. I pray that God would open his eyes, soften his heart, help him to see.

Anyways, I captured a glimpse of "tender" Daddy the other day, and I wanted to share with you guys in blogland.




6 comments:

Anonymous said...

way to go, christie!
the only one that can change ANY of us is God and i'm sure He doesn't need our help :) it's NOT naive to pray, but the wisest thing you could do.
The pics are just beautiful! I really believe the heart of Kenney is gold, but his experience with children will prove to be a powerful tool to mine that gold...
it was really good to see you all on Monday. thanks for letting us intrude for a little while.
sure love you all, Tia

Britney said...

you have the most beautiful family ever. these pictures made me cry. i miss the Rues.

American Mum said...

Wow, good pictures!

Elizabeth F. said...

I think most dad's struggle with this. I know mine does! So, I hope Kenney doesn't feel like he's getting beat up, he..he... Those are such cute pics! Love em'.

Hey-check out Shelly's blog-
www.morethanenough1.blogspot.com

Innocence Underrated said...

those are awesome! i hope you blow that bottom one up and frame it!

Anonymous said...

Christy,
I'm not sure you will read this comment since this blog is a few entries back but I was just catching up since I hadn't had a chance to check you or Rachel out lately and I was really touched by this entry. I know exactly what you mean--it's our first impulse to want to jump in and correct something our spouse does right away. I have done it many times and every time I wish I hadn't opened my mouth! It takes a lot of patience to keep quiet and simply pray but it gets much better results in the long run! Good for you and awesome pictures!

Mandy
Numbers 6:24-26