Thursday, June 12, 2008

Just disgusted...

I went to Braydon's 4 year old check up yesterday. After doing all of the regular check up stuff, she suggested he see a speech pathologist/therapist to work on some of his speech issues, which I am not surprised at. We go for an evaluation on the 18th...Then we talked about his hearing and his ear problems. When he was an infant, he had tons of ear infections, and had to have tubes in his ears. They said he had suffered a minimal amount of hearing loss in the left ear. Well the day after getting home from the rally, his ear started draining. I didn't think anything about it because that used to happen all the time. When she looked at it today, she said it was infected and wanted him to take antibiotics and use drops in his ears. After telling me he's sick, she then says, okay, it looks like he's going to need 5 shots. I just kind of looked at her like you've got to be kidding me! She knows I've chosen to seperate vaccinations with my baby, and she said if I wanted to do the same with Braydon that was fine with her. I told her I needed to know which shots he needed and the brand they gave so I could do my research on them, which she had no problem about. What I didn't understand though was why she would have given vaccines when he was sick. I mean I realize its just an ear infection but still....She respected my wishes and told me to call when I was ready to set up a schedule of how I wanted to vax him...and then she left.

Then a nurse (not the one who we normally see) came in and off the bat had an attitude with me demanding to know why I wasn't going to give him his shots today. I told her that I just didn't like what was in them, and I wasn't going to give him something I didn't know what was in them. I mentioned I seperated with baby and I wished I'd known to seperate with my older son. She told me it wasn't like the 5 in 1, that they were all seperate shots. I told her that it was crazy to give any child that many shots in one day, to which she responded she did it every day. I replied that I felt sorry for the parents of the kids that don't know any better and sorry for the kids for having no one stand up for them. She shot me a dirty look, and I just smiled. I told her since the shots were seperate anyways it wouldn't be too hard to give them through an extended period of time. Then she said "Um, you know that he's past the point where you have to worry about autism, right?" I just looked at her trying to figure out what she had just said. Then it hit me, and heres what I said: "So are you saying that I have a valid concern about my child getting autism from the vaccines that you give?" Her mouth dropped and she didn't know what to say. She looked like a deer caught in headlights. I smiled politely and said thanks for her concern, but I'll wait until Braydon isn't sick before I give him any shots and walked out of the room. Then she stuck her head out of the room and tried to make me feel bad for not giving him the shots: "I wish I had known because I've already drawn them up." I told her I was sorry, but I was sure than in an office with 8 doctors, I'm sure that one child in the office will have a parent who doesn't know better that you can use them on." That really pissed her off, and she followed me to the check out (theres another nurses station by the check out) and made a BIG deal about trying to find someone else who could use the shots so they wouldn't go to waste because some mom was being paranoid.

Call me paranoid, but I'm not going to give him any shots without looking into them, ESPECIALLY when he's sick....GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!

It just breaks my heart to think about all the children getting shots who are sick and their parents don't know any better. These doctors do though. They should know it's not a good idea to inject a live virus into a small child who's immune system is down, and can't fight off the virus. ugh. I seriously feel sick thinking about it. I'm so thankful I found out about the shots before giving my daughter any....I only wish I'd known about it 4 years ago....

I wish I could stand outside my pedi's office and warn parents. I was interviewed today by the health reporter from our local newspaper, the Rocky Mount Telegram. They'll be running my story in the Sunday paper! WOOHOO! Hopefully this will open some parents eyes!

7 comments:

Aprille said...

Actually that sounds like it went well. I am glad you had the presence of mind to catch the nurse in her obviously unnoticed double talk.

Innocence Underrated said...

you got some quick thinking! it would have taken me until i got home to think of a reply like that! way to go. it's funny how they don't even blink about this stuff they're injecting babies with, multiple times over and over, and in the same visit, but freak out when parents refuse, delay it, or choose "natural" methods for healing and/or health. drugs are good...to a point...and in some cases... but before 'drugs' there was herbs and medicines and as God intended them to be. and even an ear infection is an infection and taking antibiotics might have an effect on those vaccines they wanted Braydon to have, you're right to have waited, even if they didnt care.

Elizabeth F. said...

Uh...that makes me mad. FIrst of all, it's not your fault that she mixed the vaccines before she talked to you to know which ones YOU were giving to him. Next, pressure tactics...MY SIL tried to refuse shots once and the nurse made her feel so guilty about the Health Dept wasting money and giving her FREE shots that she caved and gave her son the shot against her better judgement. IT was horrible! And usually Dr's don't give vaccines when a child is sick, b.c if he ran a fever, etc...you wouldn't know if it was the sickness or the vaccines. Errrr....I'm angry for you. And I dont' think she was saying that the shots give you Autism, but I think she was thinking that you may be using that as an excuse like other parents do. Wow!!! Wow!!! Wow!!!! Glad that wasn't me..I'd be fuming.Gosh I'm fuming anyways...

Melanie said...

Wow! I don't really feel the same way about vaccines as you do, but you should definitely not have encountered that sort of attitude in the doctor's office!!! I really can't believe they wanted to give him shots when he wasn't feeling well, either. I would have just walked out, lol.

Britney said...

I hate it when people try to bully you into doing things. It was very unprofessional for her to treat you that way. I would probably write a letter to the doctor expressing my concerns. Also, can you post a link to your article if it's online?

Britney said...

I just read the article. It's great! I'm so proud of you for being an advocate. Maybe that should be your full time job...being the voice for those that can't voice their own concerns.

Innocence Underrated said...

i just read britney's comment about making that your full time job, giving a voice to others, and it made me giggle. not because it's not a good idea, but because my thought was "that's called social work and they make crap." hardest job, and it's the worst pay.