Sunday, July 20, 2008

If Andrea can do it....

...so can i!! For the past few weeks, my friend Andrea has been having "dessert for dinner" and I read her blogs with envy. Yesterday morning, as I looked at my bags full of food from the farmer's market, I decided that if Andrea can do "dessert for dinner" we could do dessert for breakfast...Well, it SHOULD have been breakfast. But since I messed up twice while making it, it became "dessert for brunch".

I started out by peeling the fresh peaches, cutting them up and washing the raspberries. Then I made the cobbler part from the recipe below. While the cobbler was in the oven, I peeled potatoes and diced them. I was going to make hashbrown casserole, since Kenney loves it, but realized I didn't have any sour cream. So I just cooked the potatoes in EVVO and added seasoning salt and pepper. To quote one of my favorite foodies "YUMM-O!" I took some of the turkey sausage out of the freezer, defrosted them and browned them in a skillet. For my finale, I made "orange frost" aka "orange julius" aka Yummy orange drink! Normally, this is reserved for Christmas morning breakfast, but since I was going all out on breakfast, why not, right?

Thanks so much Andrea for such a great idea!! My family loved it, and we might just venture out to "dessert for dinner" this week!! WOOHOO!

Fruit Cobbler

1/4 cup butter
1 cup sugar divided in (2) 1/2 cups (I used Sugar in the Raw)
1 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup milk (I used ricemilk, but you can use whatever milk floats your boat)
2 cups fresh fruit (I used about 5 peaches and a small container of raspberries)
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 1/2 cups water or fruit (I used the peach juice that came out as I was peeling and slicing the peaches over a bowl and a strainer.)

1. Preheat oven to 375.

2.Cream butter and 1/2 cup sugar until fluffy. Since I used sugar in the raw, it's not really fluffy, but I got it to a nice consistency that I thought looked good enough.

3. Mix flour, salt and baking powder in a seperate bowl. Add creamed mixture slowly, alternating with milk, and beat until smooth.

4. Pour mixture into a lightly greased 2 quart casserole dish and spread evenly.

5. Wash, peel and slice fruit and keep juice for later.

6. Spoon over fruit over the batter.

7. Mix remaining sugar and cinnamon together and then sprinkle over fruit.
8. Pour water/fruit juice over the top and place into oven.

9. Bake for 45 minutes on 375. (During bakingm the juice will go to the bottom and cake like layers should form.


"Orange Frost"
(1) 6 oz can of frozen orange juice (usually they sell them in 12 oz, so you can just use 1/2 of the can or double the remaining ingredients)
1 cup milk (again I used ricemilk)
1 cup water
1/2 cup of powdered sugar
1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla
12 ice cubes
springs of mint for garnish

1. Mix all ingredients, except ice, together in blender.

2. Add Ice cubes, a few at a time, on high speed until all ice cubes have been crushed.

3. Pour into cups and garnish with mint.

***For an extra "kick" when the kiddos aren't around, a small amount of vodka can be added.***

5 comments:

Innocence Underrated said...

looks delish! i love the dessert for breakfast idea! i just can't do dessert for dinner, i need me some meat and protein and veggies! but i'll have to try these.

Elizabeth F. said...

Wow that looks delish! I've been thinking of getting fresh peaches to make a cobbler. That's my Hubby's favorite.

Sgt and Mrs Hub said...

That all looks DELICIOUS, Christy! It sounds like it was fun for you to prepare also :)

What a fun memory you made for your family! You can do Dessert for Dinner! It's so much fun :)
Judah has requested yellow cake with chocolate frosting... we'll see!

-Andrea

Britney said...

Yummy! I think I might go make myself some dessert for dinner.

Anonymous said...

Ok, it looks so good that it should be shared with the rest of the family, don't you think?!!!! We'd be willing participants any time. Mom