Thursday, July 3, 2008

"No"

How many times a day do I say this word? The count would be ridiculous if I actually counted (but who has time or sanity enough to keep track?!?) I hate having to say no all the time. I'd love to be able to say yes to Braydon because he just lights up when I say it. But the problem is he's 4 years old, and the things he asks, or sometimes does, requires a "no" response.

No you may not put the battery in your ear.
No, please stop throwing the pillow at your baby sister.
No, you may not go outside without clothes on.
No, you can't trade your sister in for 2 boy babies.
No, you may not eat food off of the floor in the grocery store.

I think you get my point. But as I was waiting in line at the drive thru at my bank I told Braydon, No you may not spit on the window, no it's not just like the cleaner mommy uses! And then I said it...."How many times do I have to tell you No?!?!?!?"

I stopped talking and just sat there as those words floated around in my car. That phrase hurt me to hear. It was so Mommy-cliche...And in that quiet moment, I felt a small voice speaking to me.

"I've been trying to tell you no for quite some time, and I keep having to repeat myself. Every time I tell you no, you try to make something else work. And my answer is still no."

Ugh. I don't like it when I hear the word no. But Kenney & I have been fervently praying for what we want, instead of praying God's will to be done. We thought that when one door was shut that we needed to pray harder and more specific. After all the bible says ask and it shall be given unto you, right??? But door after door after door was closed, and yet I still kept trying to make things work.

So why don't I like to hear the word "No?" The same reason Braydon doesn't like it. He does not understand that what he wants to do might be harmful to him or it won't be best in the long run for him. Yes, technically B can eat food from the floor of Harris Teeter but he might get sick from it. Braydon does not know that, and can't see that far ahead. He only sees me as someone who is interupting his "now" moment. Braydon also doesn't know that the piece of cookie that fell on the ground is no where near as a good as the brand new cookie I was about to give him. He would get more cookie, if he would listen to me and not pick it up off of the ground.

I think you see where I'm going with this. How many times has God tried to tell you "no", and in your own inexperience tried to figure things out on your own? Did you pick up that piece of cookie off of the yucky floor and eat it? Maybe next time, you and I will listen to Him when He tells us "No!" Even though our piece of cookie sure would taste really good to us, He may just have a bigger, whole cookie waiting for us when we raise our eyes off of the piece of cookie on the ground and look up.

2 comments:

Aprille said...

nice post

Innocence Underrated said...

so very, very true! good 'food for thought'. i laughed so hard about "no you cannot trade in your sister for 2 boy babies" that's a good one.