Thursday, July 10, 2008

"Yeast appreciation Day"

The thought of yeast freaks me out. (Or as Ellen DeGeneres would say "freaks my freak"!) Yes, I know I eat bread daily, and there is yeast in that. I know this as a fact, but I don't make it so I don't have to think about it. But I was talking to my sister about a month ago and she told me I was missing out on wonderful food because of my fear of yeast. She told me when she returned home from England that we would have a "yeast appreciation day" where I would get over my weirdness with yeast. I purchased a 3-pack of quick rising yeast at the store because I had a coupon and they were tripling it, so I got it for like 40 cents. It's been sitting in my kitchen waiting for the day where I would overcome my yeast avoidance.
Something came over me yesterday, and decided I was going to make a fully homemade meal for my family (okay, for all of those of you out there who do this on a daily basis, to you I say, I hate you! hahaha, just kidding! I aim to be just like you someday! but for now we'll start out a one homemade meal per week and go from there!) I made my own marinade for my lamb and green peppers and onions, which I will post below because it turned out really good!! I let the lamb marinate while I began making monkey bread, which I had never made before.
As I cut the package of the yeast I got creeped out and almost didn't do it. But I had already gotten all the ingredients out, and by gosh, I was going to do it if it killed me! So, I followed my recipe and made the dough, then let it rise. Since it was the rapid rise, it only took about 15-20 minutes. Then I cut it up in triangles, dipped them in melted butter and placed in a bundt pan and placed it in the oven. I have no clue if I did it right or not, but I guess it worked out. I also sprinkled a little bit of cinnamon on top just for some added flavor.
After I had made all of the dinner, I decided I was going all out and making a dessert. When I reached for my cream cheese, I realized we didn't have any so I had to improvise. so I looked to see what I had, and I saw a packet of sugar free jello lemon pudding. I grabbed that and made it and poured it into 4 containers and stuck it in the freezer.
Then I took my fresh raspberries and placed them into a pot with a little bit of water and some of my "sugar in the raw" and turned the burner on medium high. I let them come to a boil then removed them from heat and mixed them with a spoon. I added a little corn starch, and a little extra sugar in the raw and let it cool off.
After dinner, I removed the pudding from the freezer, scooped it out onto a plate, covered with the raspberry sauce and drizzled chocolate syrup over it and then dusted the plate with powdered sugar. It was quite a hit with my family.

Maybe I can do this more often! It turned out really well, and my family cleaned their plates!

marinade recipe

1/2 small onion diced
3 tablespoons Worcestershire suace
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup Extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 tablespoon vinegar (I used apple cider vinegar)
Garlic, salt & pepper to taste
Combine all ingredients in a small pot, heat to a boil over medium heat and boil for 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool. place meat into a bowl and add marinade. Cover and place in fridge for 30-40 minutes. Cook as desired & enjoy!

1 comment:

Britney said...

It sounds and looks amazing! I wish I could have sampled it!