Tuesday, October 28, 2008

"Painful Elimination"

So the name of this post is pretty much just for my dad. It's a long story about a foreign exchange student, a class assignment and a foreigner talking to their high school class about "painful elimination" but not really understanding what they were talking about...

Anyways, for a little while now I've been considering cloth diapers. Other friends of mine have since switched to cloth diapers, and once I brought up the idea that I might be interested in using them, I've found other friends that used them that I was unaware of. But that's a lot of time and energy in cleaning diapers, and I just don't know if I can commit to that just yet. So I guess we'll just stick with our box of 240 diapers. Once they run out, we'll figure it out from there....

On Sunday, we were at my in-laws house, when I saw Makenna start to make the red "I'm about to go" face. I grabbed her, and started stripping her on the way to the bathroom. I don't know what came over me or what made me think about it, but I was going to put her on the potty and see if she'd go. Couldn't hurt, could it? Well anyways, I put her on the potty, and she just sat there grinning, playing with her feet, and GOING! I mean really going. A LOT. It was one of those "blow outs" that I'm so thankful fell in the potty, rather than in her diaper.

I called Kenney in there, partly because she was so stinking cute, (get it?!? Stinking?!?) being all small and stuff and sitting on the potty (with Mommy's help of course!) But I also called him in there to see and witness that she indeed had gone in the potty. I have a sneaking suspicion that had I not, he would not have believed me. Why would I lie about "crap" like that? (get it?!? "Crap" like that?!? Alright, I stop with the cracks about pooping...)

I'm sure my MIL thinks I'm nuts. After all, Makenna was purely breastfed til 9.5 months, eats organic baby food, doesn't eat much table food, and Braydon doesn't eat junk food, or anything with red 40 or high fructose corn syrup in it....So why wouldn't I work on potty training at (almost) 10 months?

I mean some countries/cultures don't even use diapers at all. Surely, if they can do it, so can I!! Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not forcing her to sit on the potty. But when she starts making the red face, I strip her diaper off and sit her on the potty. I save a diaper, and she's going to get used to going in the potty. She went yesterday in the potty when she started her red face. And today, she started making a face, although it wasn't red, but I ran her to the potty, and she peed. So that was pretty cool.

What do you think?!? Can you really potty train a 10 month old?!? =)

3 comments:

Choofy Mama said...

it's called elimination communication, what you are doing with M. Lots of my friends do it, and successfully. I am far too lazy and love my cloth dipes far too much ;) (I already have over 50 for Eli, LOL)

i can send you links if you are interested.

and cloth rules :P

Christin said...

I was potty trained by 18 months, so I say continue what you're doing! You're raising an amazing family! ;)

Innocence Underrated said...

it's a growing trend lately! I loved cloth diapers, easier I thought when Kian was strictly breastfed and not on food. food makes it messier and stinkier. he never had a rash or redness or anything with cloth, like he sometimes gets with 'sposies. for daycare purposes we're not doing cloth, but will when i'm home at times. Kian brings us diapers and says "please" when he's wet or messy, i often know when he's going but am kind of lazy about trying to get him to a potty, but do let him sit on it becuase he is very interested in it. that will be my christmas break experiment!