Friday, January 15, 2010

Praying for Haiti...

I've never been that "good" at praying. I pray in church, pray with the kids before they go to bed & with B before he leaves for school. I pray for things we need, I pray for things He's provided. I pray for specifics. My heart is with the intercessary missionaries with the International House of Prayer in Kansas City, but the thought of spending 2+ hours praying, interceding on behalf of others is not only intimidating, I just didn't understand it. I would watch the webstream from the 24 hour/7 days a week prayer room, seeing these people crying out, pleading with tears in the eyes for others, those they didn't even know by name. They pray for the people of Israel at times, and I see people weeping for God's chosen people. It is awesome in theory, but I just didn't understand it. How do you weep for someone you don't even know?

And then I saw this.

And This.

And this.


And way too much of this.


As I was watching Campbell Brown last night holding my 2 month old, they were telling the stories of the children of Port au Prince, and my eyes instantlly welled up with tears. And I just started pleading, crying out to God to have mercy on these people. My prayer lasted for over an hour, as I watched the pictures, heard the stories. It consisted of Mercy, Lord. Send your mercy. Mercy, we need yor mercy.

How can you not cry out for these innocent people? These children, the women and men of the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere? 50% of the Haitian population is under the age of 18, and my heart grieves for them. Just as it did when I watched the news footage of Hurricane Katrina and the devastation that followed.

My sister Rachel & I discussed what we could do to help on the phone yesterday, specifically what the kids could do to help. Our boys have such tender hearts and instantly filled with compassion on a regular basis and we knew this wouldn't be any different. After discussin it with my nephew Noah, he decided to give some of his money. When I asked Braydon what he wanted to do to help, he ran upstairs and grabbed a package of his bandaids along with his piggie bank.

So we're donating to Samaritan's Purse because they've been working in Haiti for a long time prior to the earthquake. They were also one of the first oganizations to have brought aid to Port au Prince on Wednesday. According to Samaratin's Purse president Franklin Graham, "The damage is staggering in a nation where three out of four people live on less than $2 a day. The people of Haiti need our help like never before.”

There are many other reputable organizations that you can donate to:


In addition to donating yourself, there are a few blogs that are hosting linkies for you to link up showing how you are helping, either praying, giving financially, etc. For each comment/link up they get, they are donating additional funds for the victims of the earthquake in Haiti. Thanks goes to:
the Happy Housewife ($1 for each comment/link)
MoneySavingMom ($10 for each link/30 cents for each comment)
$5 Dinners ($5 for each link/comment)

3 comments:

Savings and Stewardship said...

I'd love for you and your readers to come link up or comment at Savings & Stewardship, where we're donating $1 to World Vision for each entry!

Christian Frugal Mama said...

http://christianfrugalmama.blogspot.com/2010/01/giving-hope-to-haiti.html

I blogged and will give $0.25/comment or link!

Gifts For One Gifts For All said...

I'm giving $10 eCOUPONs to my online gift store Gifts For One Gifts For All (www.giftsforonegiftsforall.com) to those that have donated to organizations helping the Haitian earthquake victims. When the eCOUPON is redeemed, 10% of the purchase will also be donated to organizations helping Haiti. Read my blog for more details at http:/bit.ly/DONATE2HAITI on how you can receive your eCOUPON for donating.