Thursday, January 13, 2011

We left to go up to Chapel Hill on Tuesday night because with all the ice, we were worried we'd not be able to make it up there in time Wednesday morning. My mom, Jojo & I checked in to the Ronald McDonald House, which was such an incredible blessing. They have everything you could possibly need while staying there, including a homemade dinner, snacks, laundry facilities, etc. Every one was so friendly and we felt very welcomed and indeed, at home. We were so thankful for that!
JoJo even got pet a doggy & fell in love. We might just have to see if we can get him one, right honey?!?

We got up to the hospital around 9AM, and checked in for his first appointment with his Infectious Disease/Immunology doctor. We had to wait quite a while for him, but he took a brief history, checked our little guy out, and then ordered a slew of 29 tests for him. He told us to come back in 2 weeks, where he'll have the results of those tests back. I tried to figure out what he was testing for, but in a way, I'm glad I don't know.

We left there and it was almost time for us to head to MRI. With a quick stop at the fun clock, we were off to MRI. I was just ready for this part to be over. After filling out more paper work, and waiting with a grumpy toddler (who wanted his bottle but he couldn't have any because of the sedation & he wanted to go to sleep but we couldn't let him) they finally called us back. JoJo was ANGRY with them, to say the least. He wanted to sleep and to have his bottle, not to be hooked up to all sorts of machines. Finally after all the questions, the vitals, the monitoring began, it was finally time for them to give him the "knock out stuff". He was again NOT happy about that either. But in about 15 minutes he was sedated, and then I had to kiss my baby, and leave him. I did good: I didn't cry, I just gently laid him down on the bed, kissed his forehead and told him I loved him. I made it to the waiting room where my mom was, and still didn't shed a tear!! I had my "super mommy" cape on. I had to go all the way out near the front of the hospital to get service so I could update Kenney that he was in the MRI. I also listened to my voicemails, and I was just overwhelmed by the outpouring of love and support. There were messages from friends, family members (thank you to my cousin James for calling, I'm sorry we never got back up with you, it was a crazy day!), Pastors, etc. And then I did a quick update on FB. I had to run back to the MRI place b/c I was worried they would need me for something & I wouldn't be there.
About 45 minutes later, they came to get me. I went back to see him in the recovery room, and he looked so pitiful. But alas, my "super mommy" cape reminded me to not freak out. It took him quite a while to wake back up, and finally after he did, he was unhooked from all of his machines, and we were free to go. He was still REALLY out of it, so we figured we'd go ahead and get his tests done while we waited for the neurologist appt.

It was good that he was really sedated still because they had 12 tubes of blood to draw! 29 tests later, we were finished, and we looked at the clock. It was 2, and we had 1/2 hr before his neurologist appointment and the results from the MRI. I clearly couldn't eat, plus there wasn't much time so we just decided to head on over and wait. JoJo was passed out the whole time. We finally got called around 2:40 and we were 1/2 way down the hall, when someone from behind us said "Is that the Rue family?" we turned around, and the nurse nodded and the lady said "We're waiting on them for a bit"

My heart stopped. I almost puked. I thought for sure that meant they had found something and they were just having to re-read the scan or essemble some sort of "plan of attack". The lady said "Carolyn Zook has 2 patients back there already & I'd hate for you to be stuck back there all that time." phew. Super Mommy cape back on. We went back to the waiting room, and finally were called back to the room.

I knew the minute she walked in the door that things were ok. Her tone of voice was different than the phone call when she told us that they were needing to schedule the MRI. And then she said it... "He has a completely healthy fully formed brain!" I wanted to jump up and down, do a cart wheel or something. But seeing as how my heavily sedated 14 month old was passed out in my ams, I didn't. She showed us the pictures of his scan, how everything was perfect. We then talked about medication for his seizures, and then we were out of there.

So now we're in limbo, a place that is not fun at all. We wait for two weeks to get the tests results of the 29 tests his ID/Immunology doctor ordered. I'm so thankful for this little boy, who lights up my world. Even when he's fussy, when he doesn't sleep at night he the piece of my puzzle that I didn't even know we were missing. I can't imagine life without him, and I hope I never will have to live it without him.




1 comment:

Ken said...

Courage.
It is one ingredient of being a parent that we are called on to display at times we are the most overwhelmed with fear and dread.
Yet we whip on the Super Parent Cape wihtout thinking til we can quickly shed it. Because of Love.
I don't think we ever stop wearing that Cape when it is necessary.
I am proud of your courage, Christy! "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.” Joshua 1: 9