Saturday, January 22, 2011

Encouragement for life...

My friend Lorin tells me I've been really depressing lately, and I suppose she's right. My heart is heavy and burdened, and it's hard to turn it off. But the other day I was listening to the Christian radio station and I heard the tag line "Encouragement for Life". I can't even tell you what radio show that comes from, but I think it's either Focus on the Family or Family Life Today. We all need encouragement for life, because life is just that: life!

Life is messy. And it's hard. And sometimes it gets better, just to take a turn for the worse again. Life is a battle, mixed with times of pure joy and happiness. But then I'm reminded of a scripture that was given to me during the first really traumatic experience as an adult: I had a miscarriage at age 19. It was rough, even though the pregnancy was unplanned and I was not married. But someone gave me this verse below and it changed me!

"Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God. For just as we share abundantly in the sufferings of Christ, so also our comfort abounds through Christ." 2 Corinthians 1:3-5

I was able eventually to move past the whole in my heart, and eventually would experience it 2 more times. But guess what?!? The comfort I received during those times of miscarriage, helped me to in turn comfort others who were faced with something no mother expects to deal with when she see's the "positive" pregnancy test!

Here's an e-mail from a dear friend of mine:

"I'm watching the view and Lisa Ling is on talking about her recent miscarriage and how it effects women. I thought to myself-I wonder why I handled mine so well. I never felt alone, I never felt like no one understood, etc and I think that was b/c you spoke so openly with me about it. If you think about it-that's where/how our friendship blossomed, over miscarriage and pregnancy.

So, thank you for being so open with your own experiences b/c I do believe it was a huge factor in getting over an unfortunate (but all to common) thing."

I'm so glad that due to a horrible tragedy, I ended up knowing one of my best friends. I hate that we both had to go through it, but now I have an incredibly dear friend! So what are you going through right now? Look around, and find someone who's been through it before. Let them comfort you, so that in turn, in the years to come you can be the one comforting.

Already been through the storm and made it to the sunshine on the other side? Seek out someone who is caught in the rainstorm and offer an umbrella, or maybe even invite them inside your house where it's not raining!


4 comments:

Ken said...

The best way out of our darkness is to create light for other people's darkness. Good post! I needed to hear this.

Lorin said...

RIght on!

Lorin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Britney said...

This is just one more reason I love being your friend. :)